Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   New Members (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   flex plate (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/flex-plate-14588/)

goldenpistol 04-03-2013 04:18 PM

flex plate

hello every body i am new to this forum need help
i bought new converter boss hog night stalker part number APE-54092
when i want to replace the stock converter the flex plate holes for bolts not match i am looking for flex plate to fit the new converter my car challenger 71 with 440 rb engine and 727 auto trans
Thnaks for every body

Gorts 5th 04-03-2013 04:27 PM

welcome.
i am not familiar with the converter some one here may be
the flex plate bolt holes are indexed they have a pacific position to line up try spinning the converter and try aligning the bolt holes this is kinda time consuming but if you didn't mark the flex plate and torque converter before you reinstalled it you got to do this
the oem converters and flexplate have a mark on them usually a circle to help you line up the two.
this brings us to the next, what if the converter is not marked or if it requires a special flexplate? what do the converter tec's say about this have you talked with them?

goldenpistol 04-03-2013 04:33 PM

thanks i talked with the tec in summit racing he said i will call the boss hog night to see what flex palte match with the part ape-54092 the stock flex plate has 6 hole in middle and fit but the for end bolts not match sorry for my language im from kuwait country from middle east

TVLynn 04-03-2013 05:38 PM

You just need the correct flex plate Mopar used to offer a HD one used the larger bolts. Or you could re drill them

bremereric 04-03-2013 06:39 PM

The crank holes in the center only go one way as do the four that attach the flex plate to the torque convertor.

62Furious 04-04-2013 05:12 AM

Mopar used 2 converters a 10 inch and 11 inch, they also were internaly and externaly ballanced, If your old tork converter has weights wellded by one of the bolt holes it is externaly balanced. If your engine is a 71 all you will probebly need is a flex plate for a 10 inch converter, if your engine is externaly ballanced you will have to get the flex plate through summit or jeggs or after market and request externaly ballanced engine

440roadrunner 04-04-2013 08:46 AM

.............and to make things more complicated my understanding is that the later magmum flex plates were NOT offset which means that if you have a newer symmetrical converter bolt pattern and the older LA "offset" pattern flex, they won't fit, either. In other words you might have the wrong converter.

The original converter/ flex combo had index marks to help you line them up. My foggy memory wants to say that on some, the drain plug replaced the index mark on the converter

http://oi52.tinypic.com/wwitqw.jpg

goldenpistol 04-04-2013 03:41 PM

Thanks for every body i just found the wright one in the junkyard the stock flex plate was small 8 inch the 10 inch fit the new converter
Thanks again for all

rickyr 04-09-2013 05:41 AM

welcome to the forum

goldenpistol 04-18-2013 05:25 PM

Thanks my engine year 78 how should i know if i need internal or external flex plate the cranck is stock cast i found flex palte at junk yard and its fit the new converter but when i install it i fell vibration is it from the flex plate or somthing else , i contact summit the advice me with this p/n TCI-145700 and i found one from kmj performance p/n kmj FP440L
witch one is match
Thnaks again

TVLynn 04-18-2013 07:58 PM

It may be the wrong converter as far as balance goes..

PURPLE HORONET 04-18-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by TVLynn (Post 101694)
It may be the wrong converter as far as balance goes..

Agree their is a internal balance and a external balance converter,, The best way to tell is looking at the balancer,, external had a big one internal had a small one.. If its a factory cast crank 99% of the time its external..

I can post a pic of the small balancer if needed

goldenpistol 04-19-2013 04:01 PM

yeh please post pic
Thanks

PURPLE HORONET 04-21-2013 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The red small one is internal ballance,, the big one is external

goldenpistol 04-22-2013 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORONET (Post 101811)
The red small one is internal ballance,, the big one is external

yes you are right on my car the big one so its external
Thank you very much for your help

mickelsdogs 04-22-2013 03:23 PM

car show this weekend So. Minn. 4-27-2013

New here 2 site not wantin 2 get booted 1 st post PLEASE???? Did U have 2 shovel toy box door 2 get it open today ??? 4?22? 2013 Its april all my old street "GRAFFITY NEEDS 2 B RENUED" IN STEREO R do I say PARALELL Boy I hate it when my MOPARS wana B out n i wont do them like that. My dog is lovin the APRIL SNOW!!!!!!!! Local radio station guy been doin car show 40 years plus, check that out

PURPLE HORONET 04-22-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mickelsdogs (Post 101883)
New here 2 site not wantin 2 get booted 1 st post PLEASE???? Did U have 2 shovel toy box door 2 get it open today ??? 4?22? 2013 Its april all my old street "GRAFFITY NEEDS 2 B RENUED" IN STEREO R do I say PARALELL Boy I hate it when my MOPARS wana B out n i wont do them like that. My dog is lovin the APRIL SNOW!!!!!!!! Local radio station guy been doin car show 40 years plus, check that out

:horse::pics: