Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   New Members (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Hello from West Texas - New to Mopar Forums (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/hello-west-texas-new-mopar-forums-12801/)

Hot Rod Valiant 07-13-2012 01:57 PM

Hello from West Texas - New to Mopar Forums

Hello everyone,

To start this off, I will have to share the main reason we joined. It's been 9 or 10 years since I have built a Hot Rod, & I have built/help build quite a few. Nothing spectacular, but have hopped up my fair share of Camaros, Trans Ams, Pickups, & an occasional race car here & there, but always your typical muscle car. My favorite one to was a friends '67 Camaro with a small block that ran consistent high 10's in the 1/4. Deep down, I always thought it would be neat to build up a Mopar for a personal Hot Rod but never pursued it. I was taught how to build healthy street rod & race motors, make modifications, etc by a few old hot rodders when I was a kid & I was in the racing seen for quite a while.

I took a left turn about 9 years ago, & got into Jeeps, offroading, running trails, etc. instead. I still have my '94 Jeep YJ but that's another story.

I met my wife about 7 years ago & we got married 6 years ago. The problem is, she hasn't been a fan of the Jeep & does not enjoy riding in it or driving it. It really bothered me that she was not enjoying herself with the Jeep, so very recently, I asked her what she would enjoy doing with me & she said she wanted to build a hot rod with me.

So....... Long story short, as we both have very busy work schedules during the week, we came to a quick decision on building us a unique hot rod that you don't see everyday.

We have bought a 1963 Plymouth Valiant for $2,700 with a straight body, very, very little rust other than a little bit in the rear fender wells. It is mostly all original, except for ignition coil, plug wires, battery etc. After we bought it, I drove about 2 hours back home without an issue, other than the alternator being a bit weak. I decided to do some homework on the Valiants, thus is how I found this site.

Thanks,
Rob & Jess

rickyr 07-13-2012 03:59 PM

welcome to the forum :hello:

mikerp76 07-13-2012 04:33 PM

welcome to the fourms. where in west texas are you? and post pics. also what motor are you running.

bremereric 07-13-2012 04:45 PM

Welcome aboard from southeast Texas.

Hot Rod Valiant 07-13-2012 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by mikerp76 (Post 88793)
welcome to the fourms. where in west texas are you? and post pics. also what motor are you running.

Thanks! We're in the Midland/Odessa area. Right now it has the 170 ci slant 6 in it. Plans mechanically, are to swap in a K member & linkage for a V-8 out of a 64-66 Valiant, upgrade to disk brakes & put in a 8-3/4" rear end out of a Dart or Duster, then build a healthy 360 for it. Not sure on the tranny yet.

We'll get pics posted as soon as I get a chance to get them uploaded :)

Hot Rod Valiant 07-13-2012 04:55 PM

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, :welcome: look forward to learning more about building up our Mopar.

78D200 07-13-2012 06:31 PM

Welcome!

Silverick 07-13-2012 09:56 PM

Welcome to the forum!!

Gorts 5th 07-16-2012 10:30 AM

welcome
valiants diplomats newyorkers 5th aves though there 77- 86 all the same ive got a lot of em under my belt, but 63 good sturdy bodys lots of after market parts for em you can do alot of mods

MReeves 07-16-2012 12:37 PM

Welcome to the forum.... Be sure to check out the Mopar of the Month contest.. See the sticky for the simple rules and then you can help choose the winner.... Might get some ideas for that Valiant project you and the Mrs. are undertaking......

Hot Rod Valiant 07-16-2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gorts 5th (Post 88920)
welcome
valiants diplomats newyorkers 5th aves though there 77- 86 all the same ive got a lot of em under my belt, but 63 good sturdy bodys lots of after market parts for em you can do alot of mods

Thanks! She just fell in love with it, good driving car also. Where are some good places to find aftermarket parts?

Originally Posted by MReeves (Post 88927)
Welcome to the forum.... Be sure to check out the Mopar of the Month contest.. See the sticky for the simple rules and then you can help choose the winner.... Might get some ideas for that Valiant project you and the Mrs. are undertaking......

Thanks! We'll definitely check it out