Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   New Members (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   New member 1968 New Yorker HELP!!! (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/new-member-1968-new-yorker-help-22381/)

Law Shurmen 06-02-2019 12:42 PM

New member 1968 New Yorker HELP!!!

I bought a 68 NewYorker a few years ago from a friend. It had sat in a barn for 25 years and is all original, untouched, miniscule amount of rust. I've had the engine redone, new fuel system from the tank to the carb, and next up is the tranny. Problem is the key is stuck in the ignition now. Won't turn, won't come out. I tried shooting a little wd40 in there and wiggling it, and pulling like an ox on the thing, nothing. Any suggestions??? Thanks

Archer 06-02-2019 07:24 PM

Law -

Did ya put it in up side down?

Are you sure it's fully in the off position?

Hate to say this, but did you try CAREFULLY with a vise grip?

If fiddling with it, yes over time, doesn't get it to budge, you may need a new cylinder.

Archer

Iowan 06-02-2019 07:45 PM

First thing I thought was key upside down, I loaned my 77 Dodge pickup to a friend of mine and the first thing he did was put the key in upside down. I can't remember what I did to get it out but a vice grip was probably used. It did take some time.
Good luck and try not to break the key off just use pulling force and a slight up and down.

Law Shurmen 06-03-2019 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Archer (Post 149536)
Law -

I definitely didn't put it in upside down, I drove it home from the shop and parked it in its winter storage spot. Its definetly in the off position. And I did try gently and reluctantly with a pair of locking pliers. I'll keep trying but this may be the push I need to put in a new one. I just wanted to get it to the transmission shop before messing with anything else. Thanks for the suggestions.

Did ya put it in up side down?

Are you sure it's fully in the off position?

Hate to say this, but did you try CAREFULLY with a vise grip?

If fiddling with it, yes over time, doesn't get it to budge, you may need a new cylinder.

Archer

wreklus 06-03-2019 04:55 PM

If it's rusted in there,
It's possible that using a penitrant like PB blast will work, given enough time. But, it might also ruin the electronics. I don't know whether that stuff could short out electrical contacts, but we had strick standards not to use stuff like that near electronics back when I used to turn a wrench for a living.
Might be cheaper and easier to replace the lock cylinder entirely.

RacerHog 06-03-2019 07:08 PM

If the key is not all the way in the cylinder? You might be able to take the bezel loose too maybe get to the little brass retaining tit to drill out and remove the tumbler. IF NOT >>>>>
Vise-Grip... And yank the chit out of it... You mite just have to break it off and install a whole new switch asm.