Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Intrepid/Concord/Vision/300M (https://moparforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   1994 Intrepid Clunking Noise? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f48/1994-intrepid-clunking-noise-1281/)

doug2060 07-21-2008 01:59 PM

1994 Intrepid Clunking Noise?

Hello, I'm having a very annoying problem with my 94 Intrepid 3.5 V6 Automatic. I keep hearing this clunking noise anytime I run over a bump in the road. I can only faintly feel it through the steering wheel (unless I'm imagining that I feel it). I have already replaced the inner tie rod bushings with no luck (They were very worn and still needed replaced). It doesn't do it when turning or from stop and go, just a light clunk clunk clunk when I go over even the slightest bump or crack. I honestly feel like it's coming from directly in front of me when driving instead of being a strut or outer tie rod but I can't be sure. It doesn't start until I get past 20 to 30MPH. I want to say it may be the steering rack mount bushings located at either end. I had my 5yr old turn the wheel back and forth and the rack will move from side to side. Even more so when she turned the wheel toward the driver side than when she would turn it to the passenger side. The wheel doesn't feel like it has any play in it. Should it do that? Just by looking at the rack and it's position, it looks like a poor design. I wouldn't trust it in a go cart by looking at it. Has anyone had this problem or any ideas what I should be looking for? Any help is much appreciated. I don't want to keep throwing money at it... Thanks...

buddhapi 08-22-2009 09:41 PM

your strut arms are shot. they run parallel to your struts and are noted to wear on the ends. buy them off of ebay for 1/2 price of any other outlet.

buddhapi 08-16-2010 07:58 PM

popping noise!!??

if you have a popping noise turning one way or another, it's either a wheel bearing, or more than likely an outer CV joint going out. crawl underneath and see if the outer boot it tore up on the side making the noise. good luck.

lowslung85 08-27-2010 06:05 PM

im a chrysler tech i have seen tons of these rack bushings cause a rattle like your seeing.

scotts74birds 08-28-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by lowslung85 (Post 53618)
im a chrysler tech i have seen tons of these rack bushings cause a rattle like your seeing.

Hmmmm, got me thinking. Does this also happen on the Chrysler JA bodys?