Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Brands News, Concepts, and Rumors (https://moparforums.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   Chrysler-GM merger (https://moparforums.com/forums/f5/chrysler-gm-merger-110/)

Jonah Hex 02-18-2007 07:36 PM

Chrysler-GM merger

Hi all,

Has anyone heard the rumor that Generic Motors is in talks with Daimler-Chrysler concerning GM`s intrest in purchasing the Chrysler Division away from Daimler? :confused:

I thought people were trying to yank my chain until I heard it on the local news radio station. Talk about working up a lather! I about came unglued! :eek:

I have been driving Mopars since I learned how to drive, and I bought my last new Mopar in 2004. I swear that if this merger becomes reality, I will never buy a new Chrysler product as long as they are affiliated with GM.

I`m really hoping this is a bad dream.....wake up, wake up, WAKE UP!!

Crap!:(

Jonah Hex

Dodgedartnut 02-19-2007 08:21 AM

Save MOPAR!!

This is BS! Someone needs to step up and save our beloved MOPAR name before GM or any other forgien company buys it up! What we need to do is to have a few interested parties and Mopar enthusiasts to pool their money together so that we can buy Chrysler ourselves and keep the MOPAR name alive and in America. IF not then our beloved MOPAR name will become non-exsistant as we know it! To HELL with big business what about the people that are dedicated to the Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth names that have made this country great!

DodgeDartNut :mad:

blue 68 gts 02-20-2007 11:08 AM

I also belived when someone told me about GM possibly buying Chrysler was a joke. But this would mess up the Mopar community, because mopars will just be "General Motors". I don't even think Plymouth is around anymore though, is it? But atleast we'll always have Dodges if GM does decide to buy Chrysler.

Jonah Hex 02-20-2007 07:18 PM

I am waiting to see how all of this pans out.....Where is Lee Iacoca when you need him?

Ramrod84' 02-23-2007 06:06 PM

Im with ya on the wait. No nedd to jump to conclusions yet, though if this merger were to take place, I would not be in the market for a new Chevy Ram. Actually, I cringe at the sight of those two words together!

1 Bad Mirada 02-26-2007 09:51 AM

honestly, i dont know what would happen. GM has screwed themselves badly enough that they are trying to buy the competition, and would probably tear down mopars with the same poor quality that brought us the chevette and the aveo....

however, would you rather that toyota bought chrysler?

Ramrod84' 02-26-2007 02:17 PM

You have presented quite the paradox! I don't belive im prepared to answer that question at this time. Hopefully this will all blow over and that question will have no relivance anywho!

blue 68 gts 02-27-2007 11:57 AM

I'd rather have GM buy Chrysler then Toyota....I'd hate to be driving a japenese import mopar. Same with the "Chevy Ram", I also cringe at those 2 words being put in the same sentance. Hopefully Chrysler will not sell to GM.

79mopower 03-01-2007 12:09 PM

i don't think it will happen seeing as how both companies are in the top ten of the fortune 500 companies, if it did it would make history, as the first time someone has been bought out by another company of the same stature. don't panic everyone, chrysler most likely will not be bought out, and from what ive seen its more of a partnership, because gm would make cars with chrysler, just like we did with mitsubishi in the 80s. but it would still suck if we were partners with one of the big 3.

1 Bad Mirada 03-13-2007 01:04 PM

i am very curious as to what will happen...

Jonah Hex 03-16-2007 09:08 AM

I haven`t heard anything lately on the news, but I did read an article the other day that said that DC is moving away from the truck market to concentrate more on expanding their car line. Sounds like good news to me, although I do love my Ram.
If, they are in fact, going to expand the Mopar car line, I personally would love to have a two door 300C. I saw a mock-up of one in Car and Driver a couple of years ago. They rounded off the c-pillar and stretched the doors. It looked awesome!! Made me want one real bad!
Hopefully, when the Challenger hits the showroom floors, the public will snap them up as soon as they are built. That should give DC a hint that the public is more than hungry for RWD 2 door cars that perform. You would think that the number of Mustangs sold would be a clue!
I also read in the same article that the Chrysler Division has better reliability and maintenance records than the Mercedes Division. That should tell them that they build better Mopars than Mercedes!
Aw, what the hell, it won`t be too much longer and we will be flying General Dynamics Shuttle Pods anyway.:rolleyes:

Jonah

1 Bad Mirada 03-22-2007 10:17 AM

i would be 100% astonished...floored even, at Chrysler getting away from the trucks. the trucks and minivans are the only reasons chrysler has done so well in the recent years.

deadkelly 01-01-2008 03:19 AM

well we lost our beloved Chrysler over here in Australia to bitsrshity.oh how it sux to buy gaskets and parts for our hemi six & see bitsrshity 6 cyl on the packet.i'd chuck in $$$ into the hat,and if they would make repro alloy blocks & heads for our hemi 6 cylinders that have been whooping fords & gm holdens for years.iam sure every chrysler fan would come out of the wood work.theres a sticker & common tattoo over here US vs THEM or US vs THE REST......

SmellyHemi 03-04-2008 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by deadkelly (Post 1692)
well we lost our beloved Chrysler over here in Australia to bitsrshity.oh how it sux to buy gaskets and parts for our hemi six & see bitsrshity 6 cyl on the packet.i'd chuck in $$$ into the hat,and if they would make repro alloy blocks & heads for our hemi 6 cylinders that have been whooping fords & gm holdens for years.

Hey deadkelly , i'll only buy a new Hemi 6 if it's punched out to 300 cubes like the truck donk they got the design from ..........Imagine that 300 ci Hemi 6 ooooo yeeaaahhh .

gilesie 03-27-2008 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by deadkelly (Post 1692)
well we lost our beloved Chrysler over here in Australia to bitsrshity.oh how it sux to buy gaskets and parts for our hemi six & see bitsrshity 6 cyl on the packet.i'd chuck in $$$ into the hat,and if they would make repro alloy blocks & heads for our hemi 6 cylinders that have been whooping fords & gm holdens for years.iam sure every chrysler fan would come out of the wood work.theres a sticker & common tattoo over here US vs THEM or US vs THE REST......

Hey deadkelly you have to appreciate that the americans never had one of our 6 cyl hemis over there as these were an Australian only motor.

Any of you guys wanting to see what a 6 cyl chrysler motor can do just do a search on 265 hemi.

mcarmaniac 03-28-2008 11:01 PM

I will admit gm products are cheep and made of plastic. I have a feeling the challenger should help out DC alot if they do it right. specially if they make it affordable to normal people unlike the Viper. but oh weell.

74chargerse 05-10-2008 11:48 PM

not that i would at all be happy with GM buying Chrysler but look at the brite side we could rebuild our MOPARS like Gm And the Blue oval
have for years. Just think how nice it would be to call up let say
Year one and order a new chassis for your 70 hemi cuda. Then we could flood the mextarket Mopars. Whats next guys a 3 million dollar Yenko Vega
on barrett jacksons.:):mad:

mopar528dakota 05-11-2008 01:44 PM

I have be a MOPAR lover my whole life and that would suck if gm bought Chrysler out. I don't know what i would drive its MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!!!!!

strelnik 11-29-2008 02:41 PM

GM+Chrysler ain't gonna happen, but other things can!

Guys,
Don't worry. I am a former Chrysler exec and I can tell you for a fact it ain't gonna happen. I stil;l have lots of spies and contacts there.

The biggest problem you have now that Jim Holden's gone and Dieter's back in germany, is that Nardelli will find a way to dismember the company and sell off Dodge brand and Jeep, then get himself another 240,000,000 yes 240- million dollar parachute!

It can happen again.

I dislike Congress messing with the auto companies but the greedy little boys (and girls-- yes Nancy, yes Kathy, you too!) have turned Chrysler into a cash cow and the leeches and vultures are feeding on the carcass.

When Lutz tried to to stop that in 1998, they forced him out. The same thing with Tom Stallkamp.

Greed won.

The only consolation is that Eaton's $114,000,000 payoff in 1998 turned out to be only 14 million. Bet you that made him toss his free lunch!

Then he had the stones to come back to the Board of Directors and ask them for 4-5 million for security for the mansion he built in Naples.

Nardelli has the same reputation. He destroyed the infrastructure of Home Depot (they called him the "Home Despot" behind his back), ruined the company's stock value (it sank 60%) and got a 240,000,000 golden parachute.

Cerberus bought cheap, if they make any money he'll get some, his boss will get the rest and all the employees will get screwed.

Stay tuned for details.

challenger 11-29-2008 05:36 PM

All i know is if they do it will be a sad sad day for us MoPaR fans that live and breath MoPaR, i hope you are right but i guess only time will tell and if i had that kind of money i would buy it but thats all in my dreams hehe, but they need to do something so this does not happen :(

chlngr1970 11-29-2008 07:31 PM

Until the greed is reigned in, Detroit will continue to fall. This goes for both the execs, and the unions as well. I am NOT a fan of imports in general ( except for my Volvo ;) and I despise Honda's in general. The whole import tuner seen is not something I can get into. But, why is it that the Japanese can build a quality car, and you never hear about disgruntled employees? A good portion of the import cars are made here in the US.

Whatever...but I know that I will continue to own my classic Chrysler cars no matter what happens.

j

SixtySevenDodge 04-01-2009 07:02 PM

In relation to this topic I heard now that Fiat is buying/bought Chrysler. wtffff

craveman 04-01-2009 07:08 PM

i think someone should buy chrysler and get rid of the front wheel drives and the 4 cylinders and go back to the big safe cars they used to make. its sad when a car can get totaled from hitting a mailbox at 40 mph.

SixtySevenDodge 04-01-2009 07:26 PM

Daimler milked Chrysler so hopefully not someone who just wants to make big jack and then drops Chrysler like a sack of potatoes and designs stupid unneccesary cars in between i.e. Liberty, Caliber, bla bla

craveman 04-01-2009 07:31 PM

they really do need to stop F*****G with the jeep already. just do the wrangler, the grand cherokee and bring back the j20 or the comanche and leave it at that. all they need is a 4 cylinder, a 6 cylinder and in the j20 an 8 cylinder nothing fancy just make it how they used to and save some plastic for making boobs

chlngr1970 04-30-2009 07:37 PM

Chrysler Files for Bankruptcy

Link

:(

Hopefully they will emerge a better company.

j

craveman 05-01-2009 08:04 AM

i really dont plan on buying any vehicle newer than a 90 so it wont really affect me at all.

67 GTX 05-01-2009 03:15 PM

i hope chrysler can recover

Polaradude 05-02-2009 02:42 AM

Sad times gentlemen, sad times indeed.:(

deadkelly 06-10-2009 03:22 AM

chin up boys . your alive ain't ya :) . you have a computer so i,m assuming you have food & water & ammo . well if you own a running v8 your a lucky man . better than driving the family around on a scooter .