Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   03 hemi in a 74 dart (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/03-hemi-74-dart-762/)

killermopar 02-23-2008 06:06 PM

03 hemi in a 74 dart

hey i'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience on putting a new hemi in a muscle car. i recently got a totaled 2003 hemi ram 1500 and i want to put the engine into my 1974 dart swinger. any help is apreciated.:D:D:D

CAT-TECH 03-06-2008 10:54 PM

are you looking to keep the EFI?

440roadrunner 03-07-2008 08:45 AM

You need to haul that wreck up to me so I can do some "research" on it.

killermopar 03-07-2008 02:03 PM

sorry but i'm a little green in this stuff, is the EFI electronic fuel injection

mcarmaniac 03-07-2008 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by killermopar (Post 2517)
sorry but i'm a little green in this stuff, is the EFI electronic fuel injection

yes it is. I have aloas heard that it is easyier to switch new motors into old cars if you use carbration but if you have the computer and everything the throttle response you get from EFI may be worth it.

killermopar 03-08-2008 05:22 AM

yeah i do have it, but my only problem is i dont know how to go about adapting everything into the car, because i dont know how the gauges and everything inside will work with the wiring from the truck

440roadrunner 03-14-2008 01:24 PM

Without the shop manual, this could be a daunting task. I actually did this on an old V6 Astro? van with TBI. All I had was the little "Clymer" manual, which is not a great help. 'We' were going to adapt this system into a buddies V6 powered Jeep
I removed the harness from the car--which was junk, removed the in-tank pump, the distributor, throttle body unit, computer, etc, and laid them all out with the harness, on which I marked the connectors.
Then, I simply untaped the major harness until I'd eliminated everything except the interconnects for the EFI.
There are pitfalls, though, the newer the rig, the "worser" There's things like transmission controls, hookups to the speedo unit, etc.
Without a shop manual or at least a complete diagram and a Cymers, this would be a job.
If you don't understand electrics, it would be wise to buddy up to some local "geek" who does

Even if you decide to eliminate the EFI and go "carbs" what will you do about igniton?

killermopar 03-14-2008 04:06 PM

not sure, i think i'm just gonna let the truck go to insurance, i cant see keeping it, thier buy back price is too high and i still gotta get another car
:mad:

mcarmaniac 03-14-2008 11:56 PM

I don't know much about the new hemi but is it not like a old hemi with a distibuter or is it like the LS1's?

Mopar Guy in Delaware 04-03-2008 11:13 PM

Hey,
I'm stupid. But, what I see is two things.
You need to totally access what your removing and make sure you get it all from the truck to support the operation of the late model hemi. But, remember that new hemi is just an air pump that compresses a mixture of fuel and air. It would operate very nicely with a carburetor, pointless ignition and a decent transmission behind it.
The new engines are not magic, they are the same as the old stuff, there just covered in gadgets that the dealers can work on and you cant. Strip it down naked, and use old school techniques and you'll have a screaming monster that will perfornm well.