Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   1972 Satellite engine swap (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/1972-satellite-engine-swap-20383/)

Ed Slocum 06-02-2017 01:29 PM

1972 Satellite engine swap

I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me on an engine swap. I have a 1972 satellite sebring which i believe came with a 318 and 904 trans. I picked up an 89 360 out of a Ram Charger with a 727trans. I was told by many people the engine and transmission would fit in with different mount brackets and the driveshaft modified. I read it will need a different oil pan and headers. does anyone know how to track those down? I'm not having any luck on my own

thanks-Ed:yikes:

Archer 06-02-2017 02:39 PM

Ed -

Call Schumacher about the need for new motor/tranny mounts.
IF you need them, they have/will make them for you.
(Probably need replacing anyway.)
Headers for a small bock in a 72 B-boby should fit (use shoe horn as necessary).
You may or may not have to modify the drive shaft.
Probably need a new oil pan to fit, too bad I just sold one a few months ago.

Archer

TVLynn 06-02-2017 04:36 PM

727 is longer than the 904 so the drive shaft will need to be shortened. Trans mounts are the same The drivers side ?? motor mount is different but can be made to work The 318 exhaust manifolds can be used if you don't want headers. Yes the oil pan will need to be changed / 318-360 to a car 360.. It's an easy swap !!!
Suggestions only!!
Re seal the trans
Re seal the engine -- valve covers, intake and timing /water pump cover and freeze plugs before installing

Ed Slocum 06-02-2017 10:30 PM

thanks!!

Originally Posted by Archer (Post 139945)
Ed -

Call Schumacher about the need for new motor/tranny mounts.
IF you need them, they have/will make them for you.
(Probably need replacing anyway.)
Headers for a small bock in a 72 B-boby should fit (use shoe horn as necessary).
You may or may not have to modify the drive shaft.
Probably need a new oil pan to fit, too bad I just sold one a few months ago.

Archer

Originally Posted by TVLynn (Post 139946)
727 is longer than the 904 so the drive shaft will need to be shortened. Trans mounts are the same The drivers side ?? motor mount is different but can be made to work The 318 exhaust manifolds can be used if you don't want headers. Yes the oil pan will need to be changed / 318-360 to a car 360.. It's an easy swap !!!
Suggestions only!!
Re seal the trans
Re seal the engine -- valve covers, intake and timing /water pump cover and freeze plugs before installing

I appreciate the wisdom! I am going to stick with the header plan. I had already purchased hooker headers for the satellite application but the mounting holes/ studs didn't line up( even after a few mods :confused: