Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Aluminum Engine Parts (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/aluminum-engine-parts-1822/)

Commando 11-17-2008 06:19 PM

Aluminum Engine Parts

I was wondering what people do to aluminum engine parts.

Can you leave them be or will something happen to them, is there a special paint, or can you clear cote them?

78D200 11-18-2008 01:54 AM

left bare and uncleaned, they can pit. I would never paint an alum part as its a good way to get rid of some heat from the motor, same with a tranny.

I have heard of people clear coating alum parts but can't remember if it was a special clear coat or not. I do not beleive it was.

skymynx 11-18-2008 02:33 AM

we clear coated most of the aluminum on the corvette and havent had any problems with it

Commando 11-18-2008 06:47 AM

I like the way it looks, and like to keep it that way, I will check out the clear coats then.

Do you remember what you used Skymynx?

challenger 11-22-2008 02:31 PM

hey C auto zone has a cleaner you spray on the aluminum and let sit for about five min: and rinse but i cant remember the name of it as some one else might or ill try and check when i go to the store again but i did it after a couple of years and it made the aluminum look brand new again , ill be doing it again this new season since i went to all aluminum except with the block :D

Commando 11-22-2008 03:12 PM

Did you spray a protectant or clear coat on it before cleaning it, or do you just clean it every once and awhile?

challenger 11-23-2008 09:54 AM

hey c i just spray it on before every season and it stays shinny all season but you can do it a few times a summer to keep it looking great , this stuff takes all the crud and dirt off and really works well , ill get the name of it if you still would like to try it :D

Commando 11-23-2008 06:19 PM

It still is new, I am just thinking about what I can do to keep it looking new.

I looked at a whole bunch of different clear coats today at the shop and they all say to spray a primer on first, don't remember if there was a clear coat primer, otherwise that defeats the purpose.

challenger 11-23-2008 07:39 PM

i dont think they make a high temp clear C so i would just leave it alone
it will just flake and look awfull later on down the road i think

Commando 11-24-2008 06:58 AM

Actually I found one that said 500 degrees, but that one I know said something about a primer. I think its a duplicolor same as the engine enamel I put on the block. Does the water pump housing and heads get that hot? I never really tried touching those parts before after running.

challenger 11-24-2008 05:39 PM

they dont get that hot but if you put a primer on it would it be a clear primer ?? still i wouldn't do anything to them , i never have and it always comes clean for me :D

67 GTX 11-24-2008 06:18 PM

the heads will never get near 500 degrees

Commando 11-24-2008 07:27 PM

If it's not a clear primer I think that kind of defeats the purpose, I don't believe I saw any clear primers but I will look again.