Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Help with little bitty screws (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/help-little-bitty-screws-3303/)

billybenbob 06-14-2009 03:08 PM

Help with little bitty screws

Hi Folks,
I'm probably the first person do do such a dumb thing, but, when putting new points & a condenser in my 1966 225 slant-6, I managed to drop both of the little screws needed to mount those parts.
My local parts stores pretty much suggested buying a new car.
Can anyone help me with what size and where I might find a couple of screws like that.
Oh yeah, those screws are both different sizes.
Thank you most kindly,
billybenbob

richinny 06-14-2009 03:25 PM

so, are they hiding in the distributor wait to explode the distributor?

you might want to pull the distributor to check. while you're at it change the plastic drive gear as they get brittle when they get old.

they might be 6/32 and 8/32 but if you have the distributor out it's very easy to bring it to a hardware store. they can't be much longer than the plate they go through or it will cause problems.

one other thought is to swap it over to electronic ignition and not have to do this again.

one you've pulled a few distributors, most people find it easier to pull the distributor on a 6 to change the points.

richinny 06-14-2009 03:28 PM

you might try finding a shop with old guys like me. in "the old days" this happened ofter and we has a screw assortment just for distributors.

Polaradude 06-15-2009 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by richinny (Post 22050)
you might try finding a shop with old guys like me. in "the old days" this happened ofter and we has a screw assortment just for distributors.

"Back in the Day"

billybenbob 06-15-2009 04:27 AM

Thanks. I have pulled the distributor and will go in search of an "old timer".

67 GTX 06-15-2009 01:42 PM

haha
but, i would also change the gear