Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Installing valve springs on a 74' 318... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/installing-valve-springs-74-318-a-2713/)

67rockabillydart 04-06-2009 09:39 AM

Installing valve springs on a 74' 318...

:(ok, i need help.. i bought a set of edelbrock valve springs to go with my cam:cool:.. the cam is in but the valve springs, im having a hard time understaning the instructions...:confused: does any one have better instructions or experience?? i really need help. thanx...

69Fury3 04-06-2009 02:01 PM

As long as the heads are off the car it is relatively simple. Get a good spring compressor, compress the springs, remove the locks and retainers, release the compresser pressure, remove the springs, install new springs retainers and locks.

Commando 04-06-2009 02:26 PM

What's the part number, Edelbrock has all the instructions on their website, I will take a look at them.

67rockabillydart 04-06-2009 05:28 PM

the part number is 5877.

Commando 04-06-2009 06:38 PM

You're right there really aren't instructions there, the pictures I think are more helpful. You'll need a spring compressor and just do what 69Fury3 says.

78trailduster 04-06-2009 07:12 PM

Are you doing with the heads still on the engine or off the engine becuase it can be done both ways

67rockabillydart 04-06-2009 09:48 PM

I was going to do it with the heads still on... but will it be easier to take the heads off??

Commando 04-07-2009 05:47 AM

There's a different tool depending on which way you do it. The tool I am most familiar with for this looks like a pair of tongs and is used with the heads off.

It's your call on which way to do it. If you pull the heads off you can put a new head gasket in, you probably don't know the condition of the old one, and you can also look at the condition of the cylinders and the pistons.

67rockabillydart 04-07-2009 07:47 AM

well i've taken off the heads so many times now... it's got a new gasket, the pistons and cylinder walls are fine.. i cleaned everything... i'll see if i can find the tool to get them off with the heads on then... THANX A LOT GUYS.. you have been REALLY BIG help.

hypermite 04-07-2009 08:29 PM

Don't forget to pressurize the cylinders with compressed air, or the valves will fall in, when you pull the locks off!

cudaneil 04-08-2009 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by hypermite (Post 16904)
Don't forget to pressurize the cylinders with compressed air, or the valves will fall in, when you pull the locks off!

Or put some rope in there through the plughole and pushup the piston to

the top,that works too ! Dont forget to leave some rope hanging out

to pull it out again. :D (Basic i know but it works):rolleyes:

67 GTX 04-08-2009 04:47 PM

you pulled the head off right?

78trailduster 04-08-2009 08:20 PM

to replace the valve springs with the heads still on the engine. Pull all spark plugs out. Remove the rocker arms. You will have to rig up somthing that will screw into the sparkplug whole and something you can hook shop air to. An old compression tester works well just take the gauge off and rig up something to hook to shop air. Make sure the piston is at tdc for the cylinder you are working on. Find a bolt that will screw in where the rockers bolt down. you want the head of the bolt to be flush with the stem on the valve. You can make a tool or go buy one that will hook on the head of the bolt and press against the retainer to compress the spring and remove the keepers. Before you do all that take a brass hammer and smack the edge of the retainers to break the varnish on the keepers to retainers. Take and keep continous shop air pressure in the combustion chamber and press down on the retainers. Use a small magnet to pull keepers out and slowly let up on the valve spring. Pull Your old spring off and put your new one on. Install the retainer and press back down on the retainer to compress the spring to to install the keepers. while you do this make sure you keep shop air going into the cylinder. This will not hurt the rings or pistons becuase most compression pressures are around 150-170psi. and most shop air is 120psi. Make sure you do 1 valve at a time if you drop a valve down in the cylinder just pull the head. Yes pulling the heads and using a spring compressor is easier but if you want to save 40 bucks on headgaskets that is how you do it. Good luck And if you get in snag just ask

67rockabillydart 04-14-2009 08:43 AM

OK, i got it done.. i bought a tool from o'reilly and the old valve springs came right off.... thanks again guys...

67 GTX 04-14-2009 01:11 PM

no problem
any more questions, just ask away