Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   using a pearl base coat (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/using-pearl-base-coat-3506/)

cudanut476 07-07-2009 03:48 PM

using a pearl base coat

I am painting all of the door jams/engine bay/decklid for my 1970 cuda myself so I can save some money in a full paint job. I am using a color called plum pearl metallic from summit racing. I was wondering if I had to use a certain type of primer for my paint. Also, when mixing 4:1 in the plastic measuring container do I use the 4:1:1 column and fill the color up to the first 4, then the activator to the second 4? Since I'm using a peral I don't want to mess anything up.

thanks, Jim

theomahamoparguy 07-07-2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cudanut476 (Post 23892)
I am painting all of the door jams/engine bay/decklid for my 1970 cuda myself so I can save some money in a full paint job. I am using a color called plum pearl metallic from summit racing. I was wondering if I had to use a certain type of primer for my paint. Also, when mixing 4:1 in the plastic measuring container do I use the 4:1:1 column and fill the color up to the first 4, then the activator to the second 4? Since I'm using a peral I don't want to mess anything up.

thanks, Jim

It would seem like it would be 4 parts paint, 1 part reducer and 1 part activator to come up with the 4:1:1 ratio. Id call summit and speak to someone. Im pretty sure summit sells the primer too but it may work with other primers. I read about that summit brand paint.{really good deal} just cant remember the specifics. The mixing cups should be somewhat self explanatory. I believe that there are 2 or 3 columns next to each other for each of the different mix combinations. You fill the paint up to one line and then you fill the reducer up to a line in the next column that corresponds with the mix ratio and so on for the next column [activator].