Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   1976 W100? Take it or leave it? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/1976-w100-take-leave-4085/)

Iskone 09-01-2009 11:11 AM

1976 W100? Take it or leave it?

Here's a link the CL ad, can't c/p from my old ass iPhone.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1351508792.html

Thinking this may kill 2 birds with one stone. My motor needs a rfresh if not a rebuild, going to order a bore gauge today. I also want a 4x4, no good rqson really I just have it in my head that a truck should be 4x4.

It has a motor that's been honed, but only had a visual inspection by the macuine shop. It has some other bolt ons. I'd need rod/main bearings plus gaskets to bolt it back together. Danas, don't know the size, and some huge ass swappers, which are probably too big for me. Not too mention that cqmo is not my style at all.

Once put together and repainted (green, black, or blue) it looks pike it would be a solid rig though.

I can pick it up for $750. What should I be on the look out for when I check it out? Or jsut pass?

67Polara 09-01-2009 12:12 PM

if you dont mind putting the time and some money into it would go for it. check to see if the tires are rotted @ all, check inside and out .

Iskone 09-01-2009 04:32 PM

LOL, either I find the best deals your all about buying new projects.

Looks lime all I would need to buy is rings and bearings.....and paint. I'd just knock down that camo and hit it with some spray bomb rusto or maybe try the roller job out.

There are quite a few early dodge 4x4 in the area so no need to jump the gun on this one. Do like the idea of running a freshened up motor though. Drop in a 440 crank and rods and I'm done. I like this body style but my real favorite is after they of the shoulder line in from the early 80's.

Besides the tires and other general things is there anything I should keep an eye out for?like a shitty lift, don't know a whole lot about lift kits. Or any other type of thing I might expect a guy who goes wheeling to do that is not legit.

78D200 09-01-2009 04:53 PM

As for a lift kit, you want to see that there are just leaf springs up front, no blocks. As for the rear, leaf springs and blocks are fine. Body lifts can cause problems though.

If it's something that you like and think you can make something out of it, I'd say go for it.

Iskone 09-01-2009 05:22 PM

Thanks. I knew there was a time blocks were okay and a time they weren't, in my head I was thinking blocks would be stupid in hte front just from what I know about supsensions in general.

I do like the rig on paper but I've gotta see it first, I liked that 67' Superbee on paper too but holly shit was that a mess.

78D200 09-02-2009 07:22 AM

If you do go and see it, look it over good. The bodies like to rust out in the fenders and floors, plus the radiator supports.

theomahamoparguy 09-03-2009 12:00 AM

Sorry I havent got back to ya sooner. yeah I was comparing the 2 and the 4wd trucks. Amazingly, the 2wd truck frames ARE the same AND the holes are already drilled for the leaf spring brackets {hangers}. That means that the 4WD stuff will bolt on. I compared a 74 2wd pickup and a 78 4wd dodge ramcharger. You would have to use grade 8 bolts[or stronger if u can find them] and make sure the shank [part that is not threaded] extends all the way through. Must fit tight into the hole also. No slop. Bolts look like they would be 5/8 or maybe even bigger. The original hangers are riveted on. These would have to be cut or ground off. Yes extra .support could be gained by doing some welding such as boxing the frame or welding in gussets in certain areas but is not necessary just to mount the hangers. The bolts would be just as strong as the rivets IF you made sure to use high quality locking aviation style nuts. [in my opinion]. So I guess there are some options that you have. You could change the whole frame or just the suspension. My W150 has blocks in the rear to raise the axle [from the factory]

theomahamoparguy 09-03-2009 12:04 AM

I might be on the wrong thread.{sorry}

Iskone 09-03-2009 08:22 AM

LOL no prob. I think you answered I question I asked in an older thread.

That guy aimed out out me anyway, I was headed put there today but he tells me yesterday he's parting it out. Lame!

So I'm buying a $100 440 tonight instead.