Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   440 valve train noise (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/440-valve-train-noise-15999/)

dkruk 10-13-2013 09:27 AM

440 valve train noise

my 440 is making top end noise here what goin my to this point. good running engine but i put a cam in it pot and polished my head timing chain. had a lot of power ran great . drove for 1 week and my timing gear came loose wouldnt start fixed that a friend thought he saw a slit bent rod then i look but didnt really see it. be driving it around 2 to 3 mounths and parked it for a min came back no oil psi pulled cover all push rods bent and one broke 1 poped lifter out of bore. 2 were still stragth both ex on cyl 3 and 4 replace push rods car starts sems to run fine but it has this clater on all cylinders sounds like ur shacking a box of push rods i got oil rocker and 75 psi at idie engine 440 .30 over comp cam 21-224-4 110 sep .488 intake 491 exh comp push rods3/8 lenght 9.315 rock rockers same length push rod as old ones didnt makes noise b4 what to do

dkruk 10-13-2013 09:28 AM

some one said my lifters arnt pumped up just run it longer is this ok i dont want to damge the engine

dkruk 10-13-2013 09:43 AM

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...37126276_n.jpg

Drag Pak 10-13-2013 11:55 AM

WOW!!

You might start by checking for spring bind and the valve spring retainer to valve guide clearance!!

And the pushrods look overheated at the tips.

Mr.4spd 10-13-2013 03:49 PM

Last time I bent pushrods like that, my valves were also bent and pistons had gouges in them. Also from a timing set that got away from me. It's weird that it was ok until you parked it.

moe7404 10-13-2013 05:16 PM

could it be that the blue on the tips is the factory heat treat? just asking.

Moss 10-13-2013 06:45 PM

Pushrods do not get subject to enough heat to discolor them like this. I bet they are heat treated like you say. I suspect you have some bent valves as well.

dkruk 10-13-2013 08:40 PM

the ends of the push rods was the same color thats just were i cleaned them off at looking for wear marks . ill look in to the spring botteming out but why is it makeing the noise now and not b4 pushrods are the same a friend builds motors said it sounds like the cam may be wiped out or rockers worn but they look fine tops of the valve stems are good havnt pulled heads yet car runs great sound good but theres just this noise sound more on the right side checked lifter there holding oil and arnt worn

Drag Pak 10-13-2013 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Moss (Post 110540)
Pushrods do not get subject to enough heat to discolor them like this. I bet they are heat treated like you say. I suspect you have some bent valves as well.

You might read what Mopar says about lack of top end oiling and the effects on pushrods?

Here is a photo of new to compare with op's which are cooked!

TVLynn 10-13-2013 09:41 PM

First if you did not do a proper break in ? you could have wiped out the cam, Why did the timing chain come apart ? YOU definitely have some bent valves The heads need to be checked.. DID you check the push rod length with the new cam ???
MAYBE you should get some mechanical help

dkruk 10-13-2013 10:10 PM

my new push rods looklike the ones in the pic u just posted. i did do the proper break in. for 20 mins at what ever rpm it was i forgot it now with the additive acording to a lot of local machine shop and friends from racing with mopars this was the 2nd to larges cam i could run on stock pushrods and rockers ill find out tuesday if i need to pull heads or do a leak down test. the reason the cam bolt came loose was cuz i didnt put lock tight on my bolt b4 i torqued it after i fixed it been driving it all summer till this week

TVLynn 10-16-2013 05:54 PM

I don't care what they said. YOU need to physically check for the proper length push rod. AND check for retained clearance. Chances are the exhaust valves are bent

Moss 10-16-2013 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Drag Pak (Post 110547)
You might read what Mopar says about lack of top end oiling and the effects on pushrods?

Here is a photo of new to compare with op's which are cooked!

Again, pushrods do not get subject to enough heat to discolor them like the ones shown. I have seen 10,000 of them over 35 years and know better. There is not enough friction on the tip to create the temp it would take to blue the metal. All of the pushrods are bent which could only mean stuck valves or coil binding. If the top end of the motor was lacking the oil needed to discolor pushrods then the lifter would be frozen in the bores and I have never seen this. The OP said he had 75psi and oil at the rockers.

TVLynn 10-17-2013 08:46 AM

THE color of the push rods is normal !! IT is from the induction hardening of the ball end

Drag Pak 10-17-2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Moss (Post 110679)
Again, pushrods do not get subject to enough heat to discolor them like the ones shown. I have seen 10,000 of them over 35 years and know better. There is not enough friction on the tip to create the temp it would take to blue the metal. All of the pushrods are bent which could only mean stuck valves or coil binding. If the top end of the motor was lacking the oil needed to discolor pushrods then the lifter would be frozen in the bores and I have never seen this. The OP said he had 75psi and oil at the rockers.

35 years or not, please go find me another photo of a new pushrod with this amount of discoloration. As the op said, he has driven this pile for several months.

Mr.4spd 10-17-2013 05:25 PM

I'm pretty sure the set of Comps I had in a 440 like 13 years ago came outta the package looking like that. I think it was from the balls being welded on the ends.

moe7404 10-17-2013 06:18 PM

bent push rood? so all you need is a hammer and a flat floor.

Moss 10-17-2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by TVLynn (Post 110702)
THE color of the push rods is normal !! IT is from the induction hardening of the ball end

Completely agree!

Drag Pak 10-17-2013 10:29 PM

Photos please.