Best Car Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Best Car Covers?

Hey guys, I currently do not have a nice garage or shop to keep my cars out of the weather. I have some $30.00 walmart car covers for them and they do their job of covering the car and letting the moisture out. But the problem i have is they don't stop the water from getting on the car when it rains. They might as well have a big cotton sheet covering them.

I plan on moving within the next year or two into a place with a shop or garage I can get my cars into. But til then I need to find a better way to keep them safe from the elements.

I'm looking for a good car cover that will let moisture out but not in. One that I can go out just after a storm has just soaked everything and lift the cover and find my car is completely dry. A tarp will keep a car dry if its a good tarp but the problem is that it will hold any moisture that is on or in the car under the tarp and do more damage to your car in the long run.

The covers I have now don't stop water at all. Water gets in and drips down into cracks and gets held up in the trunk and anywhere else water can find its way into. This isn't working for me. I'm starting to get surface rust in the trunk of my Challenger so it's time to go a different route. Also a few days after it has rained and I havent driven them I can take the cover off and find a bunch of dirt has found its way under the cover and onto the car. A lot of it loose that is probably causing micro scratches when the wind blows the cover around. It doesn't matter if I washed the car just before covering them. It always looks like I just got back from taking them all out for some Dukes of Hazard style dirt road drifting.

I don't mind spending a little bit but I've seen covers that are priced up to almost a grand... I'd rather buy small buildings to park each one in for just a little bit more money lol.

Last edited by rcknrolfender79; 04-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice rides btw. I too am wondering the same question. My walmart cover isn't doing the job for the rain. My profile I have a pic of where my car is sitting and parked now. I have a feeling I'm going to have to spend up to $300 for a cover. Which is fine by me as you can see why in my picture!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Plastic tarp on top of a cheap cover works for me
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Check at Sams, I'm not sure if they still do but they used to sell portable carports. Just a tubular metal frame with a poly canopy, I paid less than $200 for the one I parked my boat under. The car will be covered and air will also be able to circulate. Plus when you want to drive one just drive out from under it, no cover to have to remove and fold up.

You can also get optional sides to completely enclose it if you want, I just used the top canopy for my boat since I had the house on one side and a fence on the other.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 387 Likes on 382 Posts
NONE of the car covers will keep the water out I would go for the portable canopy. I had an expensive custom CoverCraft cover, fit was fantastic but car still got wet./ If not a sheet of plastic between two car covers !. USE some packets of (absorbs water) desiccant (SP) in the car, trunk & everywhere on the inside, even in the engine compartment!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Sorry haven't been on in a little bit. I'll definitely need to look into getting the desiccant that Tvlynn mentioned. I will look into the portable carport as well.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
An article I read many years ago about putting a car into long term storage suggested using charcoal as a desiccant. They recommended using a bowl like a dog dish and putting some charcoal briquettes in it and then placing one in the interior, one in the trunk, etc; wherever you are concerned about moisture. The charcoal has no odor and a bag is dirt cheap.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Covers

I bought deluxe shield waterproof cover from Carcovers.com for the same purpose you want one for. It works great. Light weight, Soft, No Dust & No scratches. Can be used for both indoor and outdoor purpose
Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
I use California Car Covers for the race cars... Never had a problem with them or their performance......
Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a cover from Auto Zone a while back.

They have several styles made for either indoors or outdoors. My car is always in the garage, but got one of the one's for outdoor use just in case.

Tested it on my daily driver and car did not get a drop of moisture any where on it!

Price was $79.99. For that price, compared to some I've seen, even if it only lasts a few years, it was worth it! Hoping it lasts a LOT longer than that though as I DO NOT intend on leaving it out in weather anyway!

Dang, man!
Those are some sweet rides there! You don't own all 3 still, do you? That should be illegal to be hoarding that many sweet Mopars all at once!! LOL