Burn out

Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burn out

Hello👋🏼 I have a burnout question/ concern on my car . It’s a first gen srt 6.1 (This is my first mopar BTW) I tUrn off all traction and stability control in my car and begin to burn out but then it looses all power and just like that the burn out it over. Sucks when I’m doing donuts cause I make half a swing and again all power is lost and i can’t complete a donut 🍩 is there a reason why my car is doing this ? Or do I just have to get the hang of pumping the gas instead of just holding it open at full throttle?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
You should have plenty of power to smoke tires as long as you want.
There is a big difference between doing doughnuts and a standing / straight line burnout, though. Mainly that, in a doughnut, there is a certain point during the turn where your momentum sort of balances out with the forward push of the tire... Causing you to grip (especially if you are sticky track tires, or high-quality road tires).
When I watch pros like Top Gear / Grand Tour hosts, or RoadKill guys do doughnuts, they are pumping the throttle after the first full rotation in every clip I can remember.
They do this to take advantage of a thing called "torque backlash" or "lift off oversteer" to throw the tail around and complete the turn.
Torque Backlash doesn't get a lot of hype in the drag / race / show community, but it's vital to the drift crowd (especially in under-powered cars, like the classic 80's and 90's 4cyl riceburners).
I don't know all of the science to it, but the basic idea is:
As you push the engine to high rpm, there is a ton of torque hitting the diff. When you lift off the pedal suddenly, that torque changes rapidly. If you are in a turn, or have the wheels pointed to one side when you do this, the nose will dive to the side you are turning toward and the tail will whip opposite.
You can most easily see this in action when you look at burnout fail videos on YouTube.
Torque steer pulls the car to one side when the power is on, the driver freaks out, counter steers, lifts off the throttle and the car dives off the side of the road (toward the direction the front wheels are aimed) suddenly.
That's torque backlash.
​​​​​​
Up your doughnut game. Practice with torque backlash (aka lift off oversteer).
​​​​​​