Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Dog dish hubcaps (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/dog-dish-hubcaps-7719/)

djcobraman427 10-08-2010 02:35 PM

Dog dish hubcaps

I just wanted to throw something in for the members concerning painted wheel and dog-dish hub caps. I was in high school in 1968 and I was all about Mopars. Very, very few Mopars came with painted wheels if ordered with 426s, 440s or even 383s. Almost all had rally wheels.

Every time I pick up a Mopar magazine, every car in it has painted wheels. I even put painted wheels on my 68 Hemi Roadrunner, it looked neat but it was not correct. If someone ordered a fully loaded Hem Cuda, it got the wide rally wheels. police cars came with 6" steel wheels and some of the factory 440 SixPacks had 7" steels,(no hubcaps).

I just wanted to vent because, even though i like painted wheels, it is wrong to show a car as being original if you use the wrong wheels. I apologize if I am out of line. I'll go back to my room now.

1966sportfury 10-09-2010 12:19 AM

its ok thats kool! you know what burns my butt? a fire about 3 feet high

67 GTX 10-09-2010 12:01 PM

very true
if i remember correctly, the only muscle cars that really got them were the a-bodies, with an exception to the roadrunner and c-bodies right?

78D200 10-09-2010 02:41 PM

My Valiant came with black wheels. I'm not sure about what vehicle came with or did not come with painted wheels. I would have thought if the wheels were painted, then it would be part of a special package.

djcobraman427 10-11-2010 12:11 AM

I think the R/T packages came with Rally wheels of some type. About the only cars I remember seeing with painted wheels, besides the special edition 440 SixPack Super Bees and Roadrunners with the glass hoods, were Roadrunners and GTXs. I know a few E-bodies were ordered for racing with steel wheels, but not many. If you were ordering a full-boat Challenger R/T with all of the bells and whistles, it just didn't make sense that the buyer would "cheap out" on wheels. And the dealers definitely didn't order anything that didn't have the bling of a styled wheel.

I put painted wheels on my 68 Hemi Roadrunner, because everything on it was cheap, like the bench seat with a 4-speed. I did use the 8" wheels from a Ramcharger and wide radials.

I had one Corvette guy look at it and ask me if it was some kind of taxi cab. Yeah, right. A 2 door taxi cab. Chevy owners.

pjmopar 10-11-2010 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ilike the painted wheels ,my car didnt come from the factory like this ,but this is what does it for me .I have the ramcharger rim on the rear also

scotts74birds 10-12-2010 05:54 PM

Its surprising. The "dog-dishes", also known as "poverty caps" are now in the $200 range for a set of good ones/restos!

djcobraman427 10-13-2010 05:00 PM

And we all used to use them for holding parts, lug nuts, throwing at the neighbors cat, etc. I threw away a small fortunes-worth of them.. Kind of like radio delete covers. Whoever kept those. I wanted that "cool" K-Mart cassette player so I could woo all of the women. Those were the days.

Silverick 10-13-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by djcobraman427 (Post 56835)
And we all used to use them for holding parts, lug nuts, throwing at the neighbors cat, etc. I threw away a small fortunes-worth of them.. Kind of like radio delete covers. Whoever kept those. I wanted that "cool" K-Mart cassette player so I could woo all of the women. Those were the days.

So true!

rr69half6bbl 10-13-2010 07:31 PM

I think that what started the trend of painted wheels was when the car market exploded the last time. the more bare bones looking it was the more people think its a muscle car. so while the highend cars strted doing 6 figures. the lowend guys started copying, oh Im sorry, reflecting, the higher end area. So you have what you do today. myself,i like the painted wheel and caps look, it looks natural, but thats me. lets be honest, hubcaps and rallye wheels dont do it for most of us anyway. how many of us had cragers or some simialer wheel on our cars shortly after we got it.

randyburn 09-18-2011 01:25 PM

steelies

[QUOTE=pjmopar;56679]Ilike the painted wheels ,my car didnt come from the factory like this ,but this is what does it for me .I hav…………….sir great car,i have a question ..i have a 63 polara and need 2DEEP DISH .STEELIES FOR THE BACK(I HAVE THE SKINNY ONES FOR THE FRONT)What vehicle do you find the deep dish on at the wreckers?

randyburn 09-18-2011 01:26 PM

do you know where i can get deep dish steelies for my 63 doge polara..are they on vans or trucks from the 70s or 80s?