Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Drag Racing Tips (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/drag-racing-tips-2905/)

MrMopowered 04-27-2009 03:10 PM

Drag Racing Tips

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum, so I figured what better way to get intoduced than to start a new thread. Heres the rundown: I've got a serious grudge match with a buddy on Friday at our local track. The last time out I was having a real problem getting my tires to hook. I know I can't expect too much out of street radials. What are some general tips for improving my 0-60 and overall E.T.?

Stats on my car:

-1970 Challenger R/T
-440 six pack, all stock
-727 auto, shift kit, 2500 stall
-dana 4.10 rear
-255/60 street radials

Stats on my last timeslip:
R/T: .165
60 foot: 2.275
1/8: 9.972
1/4: 15.214
mph: 90.25

Crazy4Carz.Com 04-27-2009 04:12 PM

First, stay out of the water. Drive around it and right up to the line. This gives you time to stage and helps to rush the other guy and rattle him a little. Stage as shallow as possible. Roll up to the tree as slow as you can, and as soon as the stage lights come on FREEZE. That gives you a couple exra inches of roll out and that adds up to better MPH and gives you a "running start at the tree". Second NO BURN OUT. Street tires do not get better with heat. they will only get greasy and slipery, they will not hook better. your stall speed is enough to get it to "flash" into the peak rpm range of your motor, and your gears may even be a little much for street tires. Do not powerbrake at the line. This will only tend to load your converter and prevent the motor from getting quickly into the power band. Just "walk it out" Pretend you are on the highway comming off a red light. just lift the gas and squeeze the gas quickly but dont slam it to the floor. If you find you are still spinning too much, start power braking and increase your launch by about 300-400 rpms each pass until you no longer spin. For example, if you power brake and launch from 2500, your converter is loaded and there is no place for the engine to rev and it will launch "softer" If you launch the car from 1000 rpm's the converter will spin quickly to 2500 and the engine will be racing off the line and give you a harder launch (spinning tires)

You just have to practice. I spent all day Saturday at a test and tune with a buddy that runs 7's in the quarter and he was helping me get my Dart to launch better. Your 60 foot was a 2.27, I am working to get mine down to a 1.4 to 1.5 . That is hitting like crazy and not spinning. (I am running Drag radials)

Just practice practice practice.

craveman 04-27-2009 04:35 PM

well if your challenger runs times like that im glad i havent taken my fifth ave to a track. weights 3500lbs and has a 318, 255/60's, 904 auto with 2.26 in the rear. i was guestimating that it was about 17.5 in the quarter but maybe not.

MrMopowered 04-27-2009 07:17 PM

Craveman, the glass is half full. Haha. Remember, that was my first time ever on a dragstrip. I know I should at least be able to get it into the mid 14's. It ran a 13.8 when they tested it in 1970. How in the hell they got it to run that fast on those tires i'll never know. Must have been one hell of a driver. Thanks for the advice so far. I picked up a set of drag tires today- some m/t e.t. streets. They were listed on my local craigslist for super cheap and were brand new- still had the stickers on 'em. I just couldnt pass it up.

hypermite 04-27-2009 08:40 PM

A 90 MPH trap speed tells me your 440 six-pak might not be running 100% I'd definitely check all your basics before taking that trip to the dragstrip, Points adjusted correctly ( if it still has them) dist. timed properly, not just @ idle, but initial & total advance( my 440 used to like 36 deg. total) fresh cap,rotor,plugs,points,wires. are the outboard carbs opening up? Make sure the fuel system is up to par, you could have a blocked filter.Crazy4carz is right on all his advise, and those E.T. streets will help out a bunch! If everything is running as it should, a stock 440 six-pack Challenger should trap well over 100 MPH, and with good traction be running in the super low 13's. GOOD LUCK!

78D200 04-28-2009 01:30 AM

I agree with Hyper. If you have the time, take it to dyno and have them adjust it for you. Most dyno shops, at least around here, will do 3 pulls and adjust whatever is needed to make more power for you.

I'd listen to crazy too. With teh dart that he has just built and what he knows, it's worth taking his advice.

MrMopowered 04-28-2009 02:01 AM

You guys are dead on. Haha. Its all in the tuning. Not bad considering the car in question is a unrestored 37,000 original mile survivor. I do have one more question for anyone running M/T ET streets. Which is better, tube or no tube? FYI, i'm using mine for strip-only, so air leak between the occaisional strip outing is not an issue.

deadkelly 04-28-2009 03:04 AM

suv or 4x4 street tyres

larger diameter 235 or 245 ??
i was thinking about using them myself .

MrMopowered 04-28-2009 09:56 AM

The ones i'm running are Mickey Thompson E.T. Street (the 2-ply, not the drag radial). Size 26x10.50 15. They're just a bit smaller than a 255/60 R15 tire, which would be a 27x10.50 15.

MrMopowered 05-04-2009 02:17 PM

UPDATE: Friday finally came: race day. I was in the middle of changing tires at my dads shop when my chevy buddy called, saying he couldn't run the malibu. Though, I don't blame him- it was his dad's decision not to run it. After all that trash talk they didn't even show up!!!! So I just said screw it and changed out my rear tires, leaving out all the other speed mods. I still had a great time regardless. I learned a lot from the other mopar guys at the track- so the night wasn't a total bust