Eny evanrude guys out there ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Eny evanrude guys out there ?

My son brought home a 1984 70 hp Evanrude w/very low hours on it . Guy said it was fogged when stored 12 years ago I just wanted to know if there is something I should do before I try to start it ? It looks great spins free .lower unit oil change ????????? Oh yea it came with a 17' boat toooooooo kids .thanks guys
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
You will need to replace the water pump impeller first. It has dry rotted after that long.
The following users liked this post:
67hemidart (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
The above is good advice.....................and.................... ......

Take a VERY suspicious eye at the lower unit. Drain the lube into a CLEAN container (it SHOULD have BEEN drained for storage!!)...............

and examine the lube for water. If there is ANY sign of water, pull, or have pulled the lower unit apart, as the seal shaft, etc, may be damaged. Inspect the shift "dogs" mechanism for wear and damage.

Do not re--use the lube, replace it. The only reason you want to inspect it is for debri and water.

Years ago, my Dad was a Johnson/ Evinrude mechanic. He used to cuss people who would not drain their lower units. We live in a northern environment, and so this adds the freeze factor --- a lower unit leaks, becomes water contaminated, and then freezes and breaks the housing

Other than than, normal stuff like plugs, maybe the carbs need work, etc.

My Dad is gone now, but I still have his old Johnson which he's had since I was old enough to remember. (I'm 64) It's like this one here, which is the same basic twin design used up to 40 hp until at least the late 60s

No neutral, and for "reverse" you spun the engine around in the mount. I used to be able to start it, when warm, by putting my hands on each side of the flywheel and giving it a flip.
Attached Thumbnails Eny evanrude guys out there ?-johnsonoutboard.jpg  

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 06-10-2012 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
67hemidart (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
The above is good advice.....................and.................... ......

Take a VERY suspicious eye at the lower unit. Drain the lube into a CLEAN container (it SHOULD have BEEN drained for storage!!)...............

and examine the lube for water. If there is ANY sign of water, pull, or have pulled the lower unit apart, as the seal shaft, etc, may be damaged. Inspect the shift "dogs" mechanism for wear and damage.

Do not re--use the lube, replace it. The only reason you want to inspect it is for debri and water.

Years ago, my Dad was a Johnson/ Evinrude mechanic. He used to cuss people who would not drain their lower units. We live in a northern environment, and so this adds the freeze factor --- a lower unit leaks, becomes water contaminated, and then freezes and breaks the housing

Other than than, normal stuff like plugs, maybe the carbs need work, etc.

My Dad is gone now, but I still have his old Johnson which he's had since I was old enough to remember. (I'm 64) It's like this one here, which is the same basic twin design used up to 40 hp until at least the late 60s

No neutral, and for "reverse" you spun the engine around in the mount. I used to be able to start it, when warm, by putting my hands on each side of the flywheel and giving it a flip.
Thanks very much I will look at those thing !!! Ps I new I could count on mopar fans !!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go evinrude! i work at the plant in WI every motor than came out in the last 2 years i build the exhaust on them!