Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Mopar expert? ...whatever... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/mopar-expert-whatever-3198/)

theomahamoparguy 06-03-2009 01:34 AM

Mopar expert? ...whatever...

I just can't get over how many guy's I talk to tell me they used to have a dart or something with a 440 Hemi. Or like the last one I heard was the guy knew someone who had a 70 AAR Cuda with a hemi. [yeah it was a convertible too] One guy I was talking to recently told me he had a Hemi Dodge but when I asked him what model it was he could not remember. He said that when he first bought it , he thought it was a Cuda but then he noticed it was a dodge. I said "Is it a Dart?" "yeah...yeah thats what it is" was his reply. Of course it came with the traditional story about the guy who ordered it and went off to Viet-Nam and never came back (God Bless) and the guy bought it from his mother,you know sitting under a blanket of course. Gee, it seems that if you had a Hemi dart sitting in storage some where, you would at least know for sure what model it was. When I told him that an original 68 Hemi Dart would probably be worth about 200 to 300 thou [wild estimate..Idont know], he kinda paused for a moment and said "naw... I dont think its worth that much" DARN, I think if that thing was mine, I'd know exactly what I thought it was worth and why. The scary thing is the guy works at an auto parts store {for a looong time} and was around when they were new,(a teen but still..).
I guess I've gotten to the point where I dont argue with these guys anymore. I dont even delve any further by asking many questions. I just let them go on and on, kinda smiling and nodding my head. I guess some guys just gotta feel like they need to fit in somehow and they assume they are right about what they are talking about. Why spoil their party and a good conversation just for the sake of arguing. Maybe they did know what they were talking about at one time. I guess the only positive part of it is that I realize that MOPARS must be truly admired. When you can come up with such crazy, incorrect and false stories, that must be the case.:p

Crazy4Carz.Com 06-03-2009 04:22 AM

A-Men

BuckNeccid 06-03-2009 04:47 AM

99 times out of 100 it's dreams and imagination, but there's always that one time...

I'd heard rumors for years about a 70 Superbird or 69 Daytona that had been wrecked in the front in 1970, and then just parked, never fixed, and the guy wouldn't sell it. Lots of peole had seen it of course, but none could tell you where it was, and I had chalked it up to another urban legend till 1986. I was talking to a guy at a junkyard about legend cars, that one came up, and he told me he knew where it was, and could take me there.

A short time later, and there it was, lime green wing sticking up out of the briars that were growing around, over, and THRU it. The interior was filled with trash, and all in all, the car was numers held together with laced rust over the entire thing. It was so far gone, I didn't even ask if it was for sale.

Fast forward to 1993, and it's cruise night. There's a new to me Vitamin C Superbird that shows up, burned spot in the center of the hood. Guy finally stops and I go over to talk to him. Beard, scruffy, beer between his legs as he sits in his 6 pack powered, 4 speed bird. The conversation comes around to what he paid for the car, and he told me I wouldn't believe him, so he'd show me. He handed me the receipts for the car from a bank re-po sale around Hazard KY. He'd bought a newer Magnum when he saw the 'bird sitting on the back of the lot. Papers verified what he said, the bank officer told him to pay the taxes and it was his. If I remember right, it was $87 for a running Superbird.

The reason that story came to mind and related to the first bird? a few months later the same guy paid $10K for the lime green rust bird. Last I heard, he had moved down south some where. I guess sometimes there are truth to the stories, and it might pay to listen to someone who actually has no idea what they have.

Me, I always love the ones who had a 440 wedge hemi...

johnthegoalie 06-03-2009 07:58 AM

car show schmucks are the worse...
"hi, i wear a tucked in "goodguys" or hawaiian shirt, i have a 32 ford with a small block chevy and automatic transmission - i also have a car-hop mannequin and drive-in tray loaded up with a fake burger and egg cream, i took the time to name my hoopty after my aging beast of a wife and list all the modifications a shop did for me on a board i place in front of my shitbox. did i mention i will be blasting crappy 60's music from the 1910 fruitgum factory out of the cars open windows - if you'll listen ill tell you about the good ol days and the olds rocket i had that was the fastest in the county"

72RDRNR 06-03-2009 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by johnthegoalie (Post 21008)
car show schmucks are the worse...
"hi, i wear a tucked in "goodguys" or hawaiian shirt, i have a 32 ford with a small block chevy and automatic transmission -"

That is soo true for about 90+% of those guys. The next worse I think are (no offense BuckNeccid) are the Vette guys - uppity, I am better than you because I drive a vette and wear a satin jacket...

78D200 06-03-2009 09:16 AM

I just don't like anyone that thinks they (and their vehicle) is so much better than everyone else's, especially when there are 15 other vehicles that are the same make, model and even same year there at a show.

I like the good folks that have realistic stories about what/how they did something or about a car that they had and they remember every little detail about it. You know the ones, they start talking about it like it was right there infront of you and then they start to slow down with the story and get that glazed look in their eyes like they just went back in time to when they had the car.

Crazy4Carz.Com 06-03-2009 11:50 AM

Should I not be tucking in my Hawaiian shirt? What about my penny loafers and white socks? I guess your going to tell me my plaid shorts are out too? How 'bout if I change to black socks and sandals?

72RDRNR 06-03-2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com (Post 21025)
Should I not be tucking in my Hawaiian shirt? What about my penny loafers and white socks? I guess your going to tell me my plaid shorts are out too? How 'bout if I change to black socks and sandals?

Actually the plaid shorts are back in, but if you wear them you would probably fit in better with the tuners. I always liked the black socks/sandals look:eek:

Polaradude 06-03-2009 12:03 PM

Noooooo
And John, that was awesome, you nailed it man. Those freakin Boyd Coddington cut out people.

67 GTX 06-03-2009 01:06 PM

haha
i've had people argue with me over that GM owned Plymouth
go figure

Polaradude 06-03-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GTX (Post 21038)
haha
i've had people argue with me over that GM owned Plymouth
go figure

Well you do own a Chevelle GTX...lmao:D

78D200 06-03-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 21041)

LMFAO!!!!!!!

67 GTX 06-03-2009 02:43 PM

lol

78D200 06-03-2009 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 21041)

It looks more like a Chrysler Impala.

pjmopar 06-03-2009 05:28 PM

I go to alot of car shows and cruise nights and hear alot of stories .iv gotten to the point that im a pro at saying Oh Ya .

theomahamoparguy 06-03-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com (Post 21025)

...well you are from Delaware, so I think black socks would be appropriate. If you were from South Jersey, than yes wear the white socks by all means. There is one thing I must make absolutley clear right now to everybody; never never never ever should you tuck your Hawaiian shirt into your plaid pants. That is a fasion no-no!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

scotts74birds 06-03-2009 05:35 PM

Could always be worse, love the husband and wife teams that match. And her little dog.

Polaradude 06-03-2009 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by scotts74birds (Post 21058)
Could always be worse, love the husband and wife teams that match. And her little dog.

Perfect organ donors...lol

Crazy4Carz.Com 06-03-2009 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by theomahamoparguy (Post 21057)
...There is one thing I must make absolutley clear right now to everybody; never never never ever should you tuck your Hawaiian shirt into your plaid pants. That is a fasion no-no!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

How 'bout with my cowboy boots?

johnthegoalie 06-03-2009 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com (Post 21064)

cowboy boots? in the northeast?
http://www.jokeemail.com/pictures/cowboy.jpg

67 GTX 06-03-2009 09:27 PM

oh, come on john
lol

78D200 06-04-2009 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com (Post 21064)

It is more common than you think. just go out to the country side where people think they are rednecks and hillbillys.

Polaradude 06-04-2009 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by 78D200 (Post 21085)
It is more common than you think. just go out to the country side where people think they are rednecks and hillbillys.

Like the back roads of say New Hampshire where they eat roadkill...lol

78D200 06-04-2009 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 21093)
Like the back roads of say New Hampshire where they eat roadkill...lol

Yup.

Valcam 06-04-2009 03:53 AM

sounds like the night cruises in the states are a minefield of fun! probably due to the size of New Zealand but the majority of the guys here are just stoked to see a new ride or upgrade to an existing one. some definite hard core mopar / ford / gm boys here but they appreciate the rides (other breeds) just as much as the crap the fire accross the hood at them! locally (and just the cars I kinda know of) we've got a '63 Fairlane compact, '68 Camaro, f100, cuda, 34 roadster and 32 coupe, 62 Caddy plus hopefully in about 9 months my '70 Chrysler. Haven't doen too many cruises lately but the boys tend to come back talking of the good times and not the crap that goes on - so guess theres more good than bad there!

67 GTX 06-04-2009 08:06 AM

lol

blue 68 gts 06-04-2009 09:49 AM

I had my Dart called a "Mustang" once.

I punched the kid.

-nick

78D200 06-04-2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by blue 68 gts (Post 21131)
I had my Dart called a "Mustang" once.

I punched the kid.

-nick

It's nowhere even close to looking like a m$*&@%g.

Crazy4Carz.Com 06-04-2009 11:44 AM

I don't know, if you shortened the trunk lid, put on some blue ovals, running horse in the grill, sloped the rear window a little, moved the gas cap to the rear, NOPE! NOT A MUSTANG NO WAY!

67 GTX 06-04-2009 01:00 PM

lol
people these days