need computer help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
need computer help

iam not great with computers. but my son set me up with ubuntu-14.04.. on a reg desktop but he is not near me now to give help. the big Q. can i scan something on my printer and ship it the internet. dont for get iam 65 years old and a slow learner. i want to do this so i can take something from a factory service manual and post it so my friends here can get the info.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I wish I could help. I did look around the web for info on scanning in with the Ubuntu application. I've never used Ubuntu so.... I did find this page and maybe it will help... Look down page for "simple scan"

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/departme.../scanning-ocr/

Hope it helps.. I'll continue to look and see what I can find. In meantime maybe someone else can chime in to help
Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
First does the scanner actually work? That is, does it produce a useable file? I use Mint, not Ubuntu, so mine is a bit different. There is by the way an Ubuntu user forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Setting up scanners

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Scanners

There are several ways to go about this, depending on what software you use. In the past, I used "Open Office" but I "guess" Linux Ubuntu / Mint is leaning more towards what is called "Libre" office. So it depends on what you have there. The point is that software such as "Open Office" is capable of creating a pdf document.

As above, I've used "Simple Scan" and "Xane"

Don't get "stuck" thinking "what's on your computer." There may be better software available. I guess? Ubuntu still uses "package manager?" But you do have to find out what you are searching for before you can search for it, LOL

The problem with you and me is, "if I were there" we could eventually figure this out. Difficult remotely. I'm also no expert on pdf documents, even though I've actually built a few.

One issue is settling on a scan resolution. You obviously want high enough resolution for diagrams and photos to "come out" but not so high that the file gets to be incredibly large.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
well i have been able to scan papers and print them.. and i have captured something on a web site and put it into libreoffice writer. not just text but logos, and print then out. i know i could take a pic with my camera and get that to libreoffice. the thing is that i get side tracked at times. thanks for the help and info. sometimes things work for me if i dont get in a hurry. thanks again.