Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   time to change gears (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/time-change-gears-3241/)

1973charger 06-07-2009 02:41 PM

time to change gears

Well after much debate and no final decision im going to put the dash project on hold and start working on the rear now mine is the 8/34 rear but when i gun it im "one tire on fire" as they say so its time to go posse my freinds keep telling me "weld the spider gears" i keep telling them "i am going to ask the guys on the forum before i do anything" lol so my question is what gears go well with a beefy 440 butted up to a 727 and 2400 stall (as that is the setup im going to use untill i can afford my crate hemi) i want it to be kinda streetable but still want to shred tires in 2nd well thanks for reading

67 GTX 06-07-2009 02:55 PM

if you want to be streetable, i'd say anywhere from 3.54 - 3.90
btw, cant you just get the new hemi out of a junkyard, or are you ordering the 426 crate hemi?

78D200 06-07-2009 03:02 PM

GTX hit it on the head with 3.54 -3.90 gears. How tall are the tires that you are planning on running? Also, do you want to light up both rear tires or just the one? If you want both, then look into a spool, sure grip (posi, limited slip) or a detroit locker. I would go with a spool as it is a soild piece of steel and is hard to break.

Crazy4Carz.Com 06-07-2009 04:09 PM

A spool is a very inexpensive way to go (cheap) but think twice if you are going to drive this on the street. Sure lots of you may chime in that is fine you have one or know someone...but there is no differential with a spool and something as simple as an on/off ramp could put you in the guard rail. and FORGET DRIVING IT IN THE RAIN!. spend the extra bucks and get a sure grip unit.

I am putting a Dana in Project Dart and I am selling the 8 3/4 rear complete with a extra tight suregrip unit. From axle flange to flange with axles. all you need is the brakes. This has richmond gears so they sing a little sometimes, but it is solid.