Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   what should I do (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/what-should-i-do-2498/)

sgp7679 03-09-2009 07:56 PM

what should I do

I'm stuck on what to do. I got a 65 coronet and the car is a light blue. the paint is in pretty good condition except for the hood and front left quarter panel. they look like they had some bodywork done to them.the hood and quarter panel are a mix of light surface rust and grey primer. I can't afford a paintjob right now but don't wanna be driving around with the car like that. should I sand and paint the hood myself, I know it won't look that good but maybe it'll look better than it is. what would some of yall do?

Polaradude 03-10-2009 02:09 AM

A little sand paper and a spray can of gray primer doesn't cost too much. I would do that to contain the surface rust for now. I have driven lots of stuff with primer on it, it's just the way it is sometimes especially now with money being tight everywhere, ya do what ya can with what ya got.:D

johnthegoalie 03-10-2009 02:49 AM

bust out the rollers and elbow grease :)
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/b...job/index.html

66sportfury 03-10-2009 03:03 AM

a decent touch up gun dont cost too much 30 buck. and a pint of primer and thinner 40? bucks and if you got a air compressor. it golden. i primerd my corolla for 70 bucks last year and still no rust. just keep the gun moving all the time. it dont take long to get it down. or do what polara said its even cheaper.

78D200 03-10-2009 03:11 AM

I plan on painting my Valiant myself. Its all about the prep time you put into it. You can put a little time into it here and there and unless you really mess up the piant, it will look good. The color you have could be faded some so keep that in mind.

rr69half6bbl 03-10-2009 04:19 AM

I agree primer the thing, that look has really escalated around my area. more guys are doing it, and alot of small car shows are now carrying a class for it.in process .

theomahamoparguy 03-10-2009 01:35 PM

[quote=sgp7679;14773]I'm stuck on what to do. I got a 65 coronet and the car is a light blue. the paint is in pret....

Spray bomb primer for now on the bad areas with proper scuff job beforehand. Do the whole car if you want it to look even.

I also have read a book called "HOW TO PAINT YOUR CAR ON A BUDGET" by Pat Ganahl. This can give you a good idea on the painting aspect but not the sheet metal/rust repair aspect. It deals with light dent repairs and painting mostly. Got mine at Barnes & Noble.

Also, has everybody heard of the new line of Paint-Primer and Clearcoat{etc} that Summit Racing has released. Just read about it in the latest Popular Hotrodding. Supposedly its easy to use for DIYers and the prices are reasonable. Color choices are limited but they've got 20 colors to choose from and also 2 different clear coats. Some of the metallic colors require clear. The clear can also be used on the single stage solid colors for extra gloss. They've also got associated products such as wax and grease removers to go with the paint-primer products.

67 GTX 03-10-2009 02:09 PM

prime it no matter what