What's this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's this?

I just found out that when the engine runs this thing leaks coolant, haven't looked where it might be just the connection is loose but still what is it? And also this pipe thing that hooks up the manifold to the air cleaner keeps falling off when the engine runs, what is it and how does it work? Yes I know I'm special when it comes to cars lol.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Mopar Fanatic

i think thats the heater control valve
Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

yep thats what it is, when you want heat it opens the valve to let water flow to the heater core,
the other hose just helps the engine run when its cold, when the engine warms up theres a valve in the air cleaner snorkle that shuts off the heat exchanger and draw in cold air, i wouldnt worry about it, most ppl take them off,
Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Mopar Fanatic

That engine looks like an E-58 360 Magnum (the orange valve cover gaskets and the sticker on the valve cover give it away).

The thing in the picture is a valve which regulates the hot water going to the heater core. The vacuum line runs all the way to the heater control switch inside the car. The quick fix is simply to remove the valve and replace it with a piece of plastic or metal tubing sealed with clamps. It would be better to try to find a replacement valve at an auto parts store.

The other hose is runs to a valve in the air cleaner snorkel. This valve directs warm air to the carburetor to improve driveability and speed warm up in cold weather. If you live in a warm place you can simply toss this hose in the garbage (unless you live in a place where emissions inspections are required).
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Mopar Fan

OK thank you for the replies. Yes it is the special 360 and I do need emissions. Fixed most of the leaks this is the last one.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Mopar Fanatic

If you hunt around, you can find a dual-snorkel air cleaner from a police car which will fit your car. The cars from '79 to '81 will fit.

Another mod which is worthwhile is to dump the electronic lean burn crap. You can easily swap in an earlier electronic ignition control box and a vacuum advance distributor. The holes from the older style control box will still be on the firewall to your car. The emissions guys won't be able to tell the difference as the parts are still factory original.

I used to have an old Dodge St Regis highway patrol car with a similar engine you have in your Chrysler (though the police engines had black valve covers, and were hand-built), and I lived in California where I had to deal with emissions inspections.

I did the lean burn conversion I mentioned above, along with several others. I also swapped in a set of 340 2.02 heads, an LD-340 intake (painted to match the rest of the engine), an earlier Thermoquad from a '72 Charger, and an Erson RV-15 cam/lifter kit. I got rid of the clunky original catalytic converters and replaced them with 2 late model Chrysler converters which came on the V6 Caravans. The newer converters have little to no back pressure, and can give you much more power than the crappy original converters.

In the end, I had a fairly quick police car which still had no problem passing the visual and sniffer emissions tests, and I even got better fuel mileage to boot.

Almost all of the mods were junkyard stuff, even the converters, so the overall cost was pretty low. The cam, lifters, and timing chain were new, but Erson stuff was not expensive at the time.