Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   wiper motor wiring (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/wiper-motor-wiring-3372/)

dusterdave 06-21-2009 11:21 AM

wiper motor wiring

Hi All,
After being without a ride for a few years, I purchased a 1971 Dart which is mostly done. I need to wire up the wiper motor, it has a brand new Ron Francis wiring harness. I have a wiring diagram and the motor is pretty simple but the switch has 1,2,3,4,5 number designations plus B and W letter designations. The wiring diagram shows a pink, brown, red, dark green and dark blue wires at the switch but does not show what posts they go on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Polaradude 06-21-2009 01:59 PM

The B & W is probably just Black wire White wire, power in power out of the motor. Is there a diagram for the switch ? One of the terminals will be power in to the switch and I am guessing one will be a ground and the other 3 might be speeds and intermittent/pulse. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

dusterdave 06-21-2009 02:07 PM

Thanks Polaradude,
The wiring diagram shows the switch and the colored wires running to it but does not label the posts.

Polaradude 06-21-2009 02:18 PM

Try these also, I stole them from Scotty...lol

www.mymopar.com/downloads/1971/71DartA.JPG
www.mymopar.com/downloads/1971/71DartB.JPG

dusterdave 06-21-2009 04:28 PM

Thanks again Polaradude,
Thats what I have exactly. It shows the wires and colors of the wires but not which posts they attach to.
Thanks though for your help!
Dave

Polaradude 06-21-2009 04:32 PM

No problem, maybe Scotty will know ? I am sure he'll show up tonight.

scotts74birds 06-21-2009 07:15 PM

Are you saying that the new harness does not have a factory style connector on it? It has individual terminals? Please clarify, are we working on the switch or the motor? You did keep your old harness for reference............didn't you?

dusterdave 06-22-2009 05:24 PM

Hi Scotty,
I didn't get a chance to check responses til now. Thanks for the interest.
I just bought this vehicle, a 1971 Dart. One of the problems I have been having is no wipers. Last week on my day off I checked to see what the problem could be. No wiring exists between wiper motor and switch! It has a new wiring harness by Ron Francis. This harness does not have any provision for the wipers. I thought that this was strange so I called Ron Francis and talked to a tech rep. This guy was very rude and abrupt but did confirm that it is up to the individual to provide the wiring for the wipers to work. I did not replace the original wiring or I would have made notes on the switch to motor wiring. Now I must install the wiring myself. I have a wiring diagram and I can see how the motor is hooked up as it corresponds with the diagram but the switch is another story. I know there are 6 wires I have to deal with at the switch-pink, brown, red, dark green, dark blue and a second brown wire and i can tell where they go to on the motor. The switch has posts 1,2,3,4,5 and B and W on it but I have no idea what these correspond to on the wiring diagram.
Thanks Scotty in advance and I hope I have explained the situation ok.
Dave

scotts74birds 06-22-2009 05:57 PM

From what I can see so far, you are missing two "pigtails" , Short lengths of pre-terminated wires. One goes from your switch to the firewall and one from the firewall to the wiper motor. Does the "prong pattern" on the back of the wiper switch match the pattern on the motor?. Any extra pigtails coming out of the firewall connector on either side? Cant you match the wires to the pattern given in the scematic? They are an actual physical representation of their locations.

scotts74birds 06-22-2009 06:01 PM

Found this too. Talk to these guys http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/Ch..._Harnesses.pdf PNHU267N This looks like the firewall-to-wiper motor pigtail

dusterdave 06-22-2009 06:26 PM

Scotty, I have no wiring whatsoever between switch and motor. I have a new fuse box also by Ron Francis and I know the pink wire would run from the fuse to the switch but at which post (1,2,3,4,5,B or W), then from which post on the switch to the motor etc through the firewall. The back of the switch does not match the motor nor the wiring diagram physically. I can't match the wires to the pattern on the wiring diagram as they differ (probably not original switch is my guess). I will check the site you suggest and thanks for your help so far.

scotts74birds 06-22-2009 06:43 PM

http://evanswiring.tripod.com/id3.html And another one. Can you remove and post pics or the back of the switch and terminals of the wiper motor?

dusterdave 06-22-2009 07:04 PM

Thanks Scotty, I'm going to call it a night on this end. We tend to shut the lights off early in Maine! I checked Year One and the wiper wiring harness may help, at least I would have the motor connector. I will check the other site tomorrow. Thanks again Scotty.
Dave

scotts74birds 06-22-2009 07:30 PM

I'm laid off and bored as hell, glad to help.