Working on a 71' Demon

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working on a 71' Demon

Well I'm new to this site and just from what I have seen in a couple of mins, I'll be on here frequently! Just a little info on what I'm working with, my pops has recently gotten me a 71' 340 Demon, it runs, but it has its lows too but what do you expect its a 40 year old car! Anyways, my dad and I plan on working on it over the summer so that should be fun!

On to the reason I made this post, I recently washed the car and water started to leak under the steering area on the drivers side. Water wasn't rushing into the car just little drips.

Another thing I wanted to ask you guys, what can I do with having a roll cage stuck in the car?(No I didn't put it in there, the previous owner used it as a drag car, this will come into detail later on this post) I really want my dad to enjoy the car but he can barely get in it! I saw something online where you can make the door bar movable, is that something to consider? We have already agreed that we will leave it in their, just because its welded onto the body of the car and we are scared it mite hurt the structure to remove it. Not only that, it will leave sharp edges in the car.

Also like I said before, the person before us had used it to drag race (i plan on using it as a daily) so obviously he put in some mods on the car. Whenever we turn the car on it'll run for about 5 secs before it will die, so i just give it gas for awhile, then it will stay on. Anybody have any idea what I could be? My dad suspects it could be the carburetor being adjusted wrong or to racing needs. I just wanted to get your guys view on that.

And last but not least, the back seats are out of the car, its just flat. Honestly me being a junior in HS, I usually have company with me so I would really like to put some bench seats back there, but is it worth it? The front seats are some professional bucket seats (i have no problem with them, they just look like a sore thumb in a old beauty like the car itself(their yellow and black)) So what would you guys do? Think its even worth putting in a backseat and what would I do with the whole front seat ordeal? I know this is all just appearance crap that I shouldn't worry about till the car runs properly, but I just want to get your guys opinion on it.

Anyways thanks for reading and any reply would be great! Have a good one!

Also if i'm not supposed to post this here I'm sorry I just didn't know where to post it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome.

Swing out or removable side bar is straight forward to do. If you Google search swing out side bar images you'll see plenty of ideas.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/c-165-...evis-sets.aspx

Rear seat is doable, a picture of the rear area would help. The bars behind the roll bar hoop are the deciding point.

The carb issue may just be some minor tuning. Before I did anything I'd gather as much info about the engine as I could. Camshaft specs, mechanical advance available in distributor, compression (if possible), compression test and carb type, mods and jet size.

Great to have you, remember there are no dumb questions and a wise man told me "fill your library before your tool box". Internet is good but you can't beat a factory manual.