Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   1950 Rusty Chrysler New Yorker 323cid? Straight 8 (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/1950-rusty-chrysler-new-yorker-323cid-straight-8-a-9249/)

lgad 04-14-2011 05:22 AM

1950 Rusty Chrysler New Yorker 323cid? Straight 8

5 Attachment(s)
Not 100% sure about the engine, but my Pop says it's the Spitfire 323cid, it's got the funky semi automatic trans. Right now it's a work in progress, making us a rat rod. Literally, a rat ran out across the motor and into the heater box opening! You can't begin to imagine how funny this was! Just want to get her running, and back on the road, no shop to work in, so we are really "shade tree mechanics", without the trees or the shade.

samuelcosmo76 04-14-2011 06:32 AM

looks like a cool project, keep us posted!

lgad 04-14-2011 08:17 AM

Thanks, hope to get the seat coverd soon and back in the car, get the old girl back up on her feet in some barely used shoes, and get a radio mounted in there for some tunes(nothing fancy, but the cool part is we can do what ever we want, trying to stay within our budget! which is very little!). I've got to get to the gas tank this weekend, and hopefully get started on the seat too. Is it ok to post more pics in this thread? I don't want to do things the wrong way.

78D200 04-14-2011 11:04 AM

Post as many pics as you want.

Looks like it'll be an interested project for sure.

Silverick 04-14-2011 11:15 AM

Looks like a fun car!

67 GTX 04-14-2011 05:16 PM

looks very interesting

lgad 04-19-2011 03:46 AM

Update... got my hog rings and the piece of rubber tube that connects the filler neck to the tank, so I'll be double checking the fuel pump and carb this week. I'll get ready to make my templet for my seat cover, and hopefully get the cover cut out and ready to sew together, this coming weekend! Hope all has a great productive week in every endeavor.

LG

lgad 05-10-2011 04:13 AM

UPDATE! We got the starter off the car, got it disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled, back on the car, and got the engine to turn over. The car isn't positive ground, like we thought before, so if any of you are not sure about your car, check it both ways, my car is negative ground (like normal). Next is clean out the fuel lines, get the tank back on, check the master cylinder, need to find some wheels/tires, need to get my seat covered/installed, and that will enough to get her back on the street! Well of course I need tag/insurance, but that's a given! Pics to be posted soon!

CustomDave 05-10-2011 04:32 AM

Very cool car. I love that art deco looking dash in it. Can't wait to see some more pics.

lgad 05-12-2011 04:34 AM

So we had to do some work to get the tank back on but it's on and the engine is running. We had to pull the fuel pump and basically go through it like the starter, but it's done, it's on the car and it's alive! We had gotten the tank on, got the lines hooked up, but wasn't getting any fuel up to the pump. I could feed it directly into the carb and it would run, but the pump wasn't working. My Pop took it off the car, took it apart, cleaned it up, and now it's like new! Sorry I haven't gotten any pics, been so busy working on the car till we get finished and THEN think why didn't we take any pics!!!! I can try to get some tomorrow IF I remember! HAHA~ Gettting there, we've still got to address the BRAKES~ Need to be able to stop that big ol' gal! But I'm sure like with the other stuff, if we take the Master Cylinder off and clean it up, it's going to be just fine! Update you's guys later!

samuelcosmo76 05-12-2011 06:53 AM

HELL yeah!

douglas340 05-15-2011 01:24 AM

What a cool project car

lgad 06-03-2011 04:51 AM

WOW! The heat is on, and it's only June! Too hot to work outside, until almost dark-30! Hadn't been doing much of that lately. My job consumes most of my energy, so by the time I get home I don't feel like working on the car! It sucks! I do have the brake master cylinder off the car, got a friend of mine to weld a piece onto the side where it was broken (allowing it to leak!), it was one of the ear pieces that the screws go into to hold on the dust shield, the rod was pushing past and the fluid was running out little by little, could have made a bad situation worse! Now that I've got that fixed I have to get it rebuilt, back on the car, and get some used tires on the 4 rims! My sisternlaw has been too busy to get to my seat cover, maybe next week? or the week after that, no rush now, feels like everything is going to melt! But better than all the storms that all the folks around us are having to endure, my thoughts and prayers are still with everyone from AL to Mass! Everyone have a great weekend!

76 Doba 06-03-2011 12:08 PM

Any planned body mods? You leaving the patina or going to paint it?

lgad 07-24-2011 02:31 PM

@76 Doba, I'm planning on painting the car Olive Drab Green, military flat green, may be do a military theme, since my neighbor calls it the tank! Might do a silver star on the door, a pin-up girl on the B-pillar? Not anything too extensive, don't have a shop to work in, and not many tools either, I'm relying heavily on my friends and family for what I'm doing here, so just basically get it running, and get it on the road, and make it as safe as possible with a very small budget.lol!

old tired rebel 07-25-2011 08:06 AM

That is a very cool project,keep up the good work.