Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   1968 Plymouth Fury III sedan (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/1968-plymouth-fury-iii-sedan-2837/)

68Fury68 04-19-2009 09:39 AM

1968 Plymouth Fury III sedan

Heres my Ride...Big things to come 383 with a 727tranny

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...newuns/003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...b389325d1e.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...newuns/001.jpg

Black exterior ,Blue dash Blue doors , SeaFoam Green Seats LOL Grey carpet

Polaradude 04-19-2009 10:44 AM

Nice ride , giddy up, let the fun begin.

D'etroit 10-08-2009 09:18 AM

Nice Fury

Hi there, I don't mean to be a swot

Your car is lovely but is a Fury I not Fury III

The engine should be either a 225cu straight six with 1-bbl Carburetor,standard camshaft and single exhaust = 145bhp

or

318cu V8 with 2-bbl carburetor, standard camshaft and a single exhaust = 230bhp

The big IF!

The chrome-work has been pulled off and do you have a picture of the back end and I know the difference between a I a II and III from sight. It is possible for the engine to be changed for another unit, but would not know why? Is there any sign that the bright-work has been removed or have you done it yourself?

I have a 1968 Fury III coupe with the 383cu V8 with 4-bbl carburetor and duel exhausts (but removed and un-silenced from centre tunnel back), special camshaft 330bhp - although I suspect it more like 200bhp if that now it's 40 years odd old.

Good luck with her. I love to see these old Mopars coming out of the woodwork get the piccies on and I will have a lookie for you Fury I's were high spec anyway for their day.:cool:

67 GTX 10-08-2009 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by D'etroit (Post 30835)
I have a 1968 Fury III coupe with the 383cu V8 with 4-bbl carburetor and duel exhausts (but removed and un-silenced from centre tunnel back), special camshaft 330bhp - although I suspect it more like 200bhp if that now it's 40 years odd old.

the horsepower wouldnt decrease just because of age
it is not bhp (brake horse power)
pre 72, horsepower was rated at the flywheel, which gave an inflated number

welcome to the forum

Stinkwheel 10-09-2009 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by 67 GTX (Post 30845)
the horsepower wouldnt decrease just because of age

Are you sure? Over time as wear starts to set in and components age surely it will loose some horsepower?

I saw a TV show over here recently that dyno tested a maserati that was 35 yrs old, it actually made 186hp not the 255 it should have had.

I think age makes a difference.

78D200 10-09-2009 02:28 AM

A lot of the power depends on where the Manufacturer measures it at and where you (by you I mean anyone) do. The conditions would have to be the exact same between the two tests. Also, dynos have evolved just like everything else to give us a better idea of what a motor is actually putting out for power.

I agree that age/wear does play somewhat of a roll in the power of a motor, but it shouldn't cause the vehicle to lose ~70 HP. Dynos may not have been calibrated properly at the time, It could have been done once with a manual tranny and the second time with an auto, etc.

67 GTX 10-09-2009 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stinkwheel (Post 30881)
Are you sure? Over time as wear starts to set in and components age surely it will loose some horsepower?

I saw a TV show over here recently that dyno tested a maserati that was 35 yrs old, it actually made 186hp not the 255 it should have had.

I think age makes a difference.

you dont know if that car has been modified, how it was taken care of, etc....

here's an example
the engine in my car sat for over 9 years without even being cranked
but, the bores had oil on them, so no harm came to the block

it all depends how the car was treated

D'etroit 10-10-2009 12:18 PM

Of course a cars power decreases through age. Don't be silly 67 GTX. I have a 2002 Skoda Octavia RS - they state it come from the factory with 180bhp standard out of the box. I had it on a dyno last year and it read 163bhp. She has been professionally maintain by Skoda - I am the only owner, so I know it has not been thrashed to death. This is a fairly modern car not an old barge - she has only got 67K on the clock to. I bet my Plymouth has 150-200bhp max. She sounds strong and feels lively. I will get her tested out on the dyno when I can, and we will see?

67 GTX 10-10-2009 02:35 PM

well, this goes back to what 78D200 said

mystarcollectorcar.com 10-23-2009 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by D'etroit (Post 30835)
Hi there, I don't mean to be a swot

Your car is lovely but is a Fury I not Fury III

The engine should be either a 225cu straight six with 1-bbl Carburetor,standard camshaft and single exhaust = 145bhp

or

318cu V8 with 2-bbl carburetor, standard camshaft and a single exhaust = 230bhp

The big IF!

The chrome-work has been pulled off and do you have a picture of the back end and I know the difference between a I a II and III from sight. It is possible for the engine to be changed for another unit, but would not know why? Is there any sign that the bright-work has been removed or have you done it yourself?

Good luck with her. I love to see these old Mopars coming out of the woodwork get the piccies on and I will have a lookie for you Fury I's were high spec anyway for their day.:cool:

did the Fury 1 have the trim along the drip rail like this one and the extra trim on the B and C pillar?I sure don't remember that.