Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   2008 Grand Cherokee 345ci 4x4 (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/2008-grand-cherokee-345ci-4x4-21759/)

Iowan 02-23-2019 12:53 PM

What did we have valves kissing pistons?
Don't like the anti freeze just left in the holes either.

wreklus 02-24-2019 11:42 AM

The pistons look good, but the valves are missing.
It's possible that the shop isn't ready to give me a report on what they've found just yet.
Also, I'm not thrilled about it being left open over the weekend with antifreeze in the cylinders. But, I don't see much risk for corrosion, erosion or combustion as long as it's cleaned out with detergent and rinsed. However it's lazy and lazy breaks cars.
At least I won't be paying for the extra labor and possible parts. It just costing me in insurance and car payment to leave this thing in the shop for so long.

wreklus 02-26-2019 08:52 AM

The shop reports that the valves passed inspection and reassembly was completed today. The engine fired up, but was victim to that Gen III Hemi Tick we all read about too often.
Shop disassembled the top end again and suspect that the lifter retainers were defective. They ordered a new set and should reassemble again tomorrow.
It seems like the shop is making effort to make a high quality end result, which is in line with what I've been asking. Considering it's already taken nearly 5 months, I'm more focused on quality than schedule.

RacerHog 02-28-2019 05:28 AM

Seems like this Project is fighting tooth and nail.... :(

wreklus 02-28-2019 08:54 AM

Yeah, the schedule has been really rough on me.
The communication from the shop has been better recently, but I'm still not thrilled about having been told we were at this stage of the build (or close to it) months ago.
At least, it seems like they are actively wrenching as of recently.
But now it's the motor's (and the speed gods') turn to throw unexpected surprises at us.
Hopefully, the speed gods are appeased by my decision to go heavy on the parts and seek (relatively) moderate power gains.

Anyway, dodge sent the replacement lifter retainers, but they were the wrong part number. Correct parts should be arriving today so that the build can continue (speed gods willing).

wreklus 03-06-2019 07:28 AM

Well, here's to hoping we're on the dyno today.
Hope these guys know what they're doing with disabling the drive to the front wheels...
Fingers crossed that the speed gods smile on my rig and that whatever might go wrong is very minor!

RacerHog 03-07-2019 05:58 AM

:clap:

wreklus 03-08-2019 07:51 PM

I've added a link to my video of the first time startup on YouTube.
If any of you experienced types could give that valve train a listen (despite my talking, haha!), I'd appreciate it. I'm concerned that the valve tap might be excessive.
You will probably need a good set of headphones, or a good set of speakers to hear clearly because there is a lot of background noise.

To my ears, it sounds fine. But I'm not very familiar with V8 engines, to be honest.

RacerHog 03-09-2019 06:13 AM

Give it a few miles... see if it quiets down

wreklus 03-09-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by RacerHog (Post 148130)
Give it a few miles... see if it quiets down

Will do.

Next steps now are allowing the shop to put a few miles on it over the course of the next week or two. Then, I'll be driving it with a "training wheels" engine map to log additional data. Finally, the shop will create and load the full performance map.
Still a ways to go before it really becomes what it will be. But, I'm glad at least that there is forward progress now.
There is still plenty of potential for things to go wrong. I'll just have to keep praying to the speed gods for mercy.

wreklus 03-12-2019 08:24 AM

I managed to get an explanation of what has been taking so long on my build.
Don't bother reading unless you can handle the increase in blood pressure...

October -
​​​​Mechanic 1:
Dragged his feet doing disassembly. Quit immediately after.

Cylinder Heads sent out for repair and port/polish

Vehicle sat for about a month

End of October -

I ordered additional parts, we came up with performance plan.
Enter custom part lead time.

November -
Shop owner reported parts received.

Here are the details I wasn't aware of until a few days ago...
​​​​​​
Mechanic 2:
spent 1 month on project
Attempted reassembly, dragged his feet, damaged parts.
Mechanic 2 fired.

Parts sent out for repair
Vehicle returns to sit outside

December -

Mechanic 3:
spent 3 months on the project
Attempted reassembly, dragged his feet, damaged parts.
Mechanic 3 fired.
Vehicle returns to sit (but indoors this time).
Parts sent out for repair

March -

Shop's lead mechanic reassembles engine and accessories.
Engine start up successful (finally)
​​​​​​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, there was a serious lack of teamwork, Quality Assurance and management.
I've had a lot of friends and relatives recommend that I put pressure on the shop owner and mechanics by issuing notes from attorneys regarding Loss of Use and pulling the jeep out to another shop.
I hesitate to do either of those things, because:
1. Another shop doesn't want to clean up someone else's mess. It won't make things any faster and it would cost a lot more.
2. Issuing a letter from a lawyer guarantees a really sloppy build, if they continue to work at all.
3. There is a chance that the build might turn out well still. At least, I won't be asked to pay for labor overages, repairs and re-work done so far.
4. The shop owner and current mechanics seem determined to make things right (at least, as of recently).

Maybe I'm being too soft on this shop.
Mark it up as a learning experience.
All of this stuff is really unnecessary luxury work anyway. It doesn't excuse horrible business practices and hiding information I would want to know... But this isn't exactly warranty or safety recall work...

Thoughts?
Advice?
Insults?
​​​​​

Iowan 03-12-2019 09:44 AM

Reminds me of a roof I had put on my 100 year old house, first crew F up the job and got fired by the contractor so the contractor was going to do it himself, that lasted a week then he hired another crew that drove up from Des Moines got out of there van walked around the house and got back in there van never to be seen again. So the contractor is back on the job for a week then a new crew shows up and pounds it out in three days. In the month this took we got two down pours so the house got wet. The contractor was so glad to get off my property the cost of the roof just kept going down.

wreklus 03-12-2019 11:03 AM

Iowan,
Sounds like a nightmare.
At least I'm not having this problem with my house, and I'm lucky that I don't actually -need- a car right now.

Of all the people who try to convince me to get ugly with the shop (girlfriend included, good to have a chick who gets worked up about the right things! Haha!)...
I have to put things in the right kind of perspective.

Iowan,
Looking back on your roof problem, do you think that lawyers and cursing and threats would have made the problem any better?
Or,
Did you use any of those things to try to get things done?

Coronet 500 03-12-2019 04:17 PM

I'm lucky I've never had anything like this happen to me. Always had a good buddy mechanic now a son, brother in law electrician, and my other two sons are tradesmen to go along with my three licenses. Wife is a CPA accountant, don't have any lawyers in the family. All my days anyone in the family that needed something just called someone in the family and if that person couldn't do it they sure new a trustworthy person from construction jobs they had worked or at least the repair shops or contractors to stay away from. I have been truly blessed in this regard.

All my family are hard working honest people, when I here stories like this it MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL. If anyone did me or my wife wrong I'd probably have to lock down my sons and nephews so they didn't end up in jail giving the bad person a hospital stay. They're all big fellas that know how to scrap.

Iowan 03-12-2019 05:00 PM

The one thing I did was keep my composure, I stayed reasonable but applied pressure as needed, only after the job was done did I turn into a hardass. I had talked to my attorney and new exactly were I stood, the first crew had stripped the roof from the bottom up, like I said the house was built in 1898 so it has 1x14 covered by cedar shakes a four layers of asphalt shingles that all fell through the spaces between the 1x14s, what a mess in the attic. I would not let them clean up the mess, I had a price from a professional service and there was some water damage including a new box spring and mattress. In the contract I had it stated that all shingles on property after completion were to be left on the property, well at some point they were running short and had a extra full pallet delivered so that pallet stayed. All said and done the 14k turned into less than 5k. I cleaned up the mess in the attic bought a new bed and have a 40 year roof on the house plus I had shingles for the garage. But I was hardcore after the job was done.

wreklus 03-13-2019 04:49 AM

Sounds like you used the time it took for them to complete the job to think through your options and come up with a plan.
You definitely got results, rather than just having to sue one contractor after another. I have a similar plan for my issues with this build, but fewer options to do work myself (lack of tools, space and knowledge).
I'll continue to be patient and understanding with the shop until the build is done and I see what kind of quality they produce.

RacerHog 03-13-2019 07:37 PM

My 2 cents is.... I would sit down with the owner and try to nail down a Dead line for the project. Reason I say that is he might be backed into a corner and not able to finish the project. Once you get the answer, you can go home collect your thoughts and go from there...

Iowan 03-13-2019 08:13 PM

There was only one contractor in my case, it was a big job and I knew it, it was to my benefit that he finish the job correctly.

wreklus 03-14-2019 07:15 AM

I appreciate the advice and the wisdom!
RacerHog and Iowan, you guys are great!

Well, I got a call last night as the shop was closing for the day.
They have finished assembly and have begun test-drives.
Woo!

If the Jeep ran right last night and keeps running right today, they will begin tuning on the dyno today or tomorrow.
The owner and I discussed having me present for the dyno runs pretty often throughout the build, so we will soon see if they follow through with that promise.

I can't wait to drive my old wagon again!
Just hope the speed gods have been satisfied with all the sacrifices so far and have started to smile on my build!

wreklus 03-15-2019 06:44 PM

I have the Jeep back in my hands again.
The drivetrain seems solid so far after cruising around town and some limited highway driving. It feels like -my- Jeep in a lot of ways, but with a lot more guts!
It is strong enough that I'd stack up next to a stock SRT8 Jeep.
It's loud, but not rediculous for the road.
Unfortunately, the shop didn't do a dyno run and fudged a lot of little cosmetic things. Broken plastic clips, rubber baffles mounted wrong, etc...
I'll be bringing it back in next week to get the little things fixed, but I'm not sure I'll be back after that.

Anyway, here is a short clip of it running with all parts and a 93 octane tune loaded. I'll make a couple more videos of launches and pulls in the future.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

wreklus 03-26-2019 04:38 AM

Still haven't had time to create any videos of hard launches or WOT pulls.
I think it's enough to say that I would stack up against any stock SRT-8 Grand Cherokee with confidence.
I'd stack up against a track hawk, too. As long as they'd be willing to launch on a shallow river bed, haha!

Anyway, the work continues on the Cookie Monster.
The shop seems willing to follow up on their work, which is a really good thing. Seems like the least they can do.
I found some bolts on the transmission housing which were loose. I was furious, especially because they had absolutely no reason to access the transmission at all.
The trans dipstick showed it was still topped off with fluid, so I drove it down to the shop and they corrected their screw up right away, re-checked the rest of the undercarriage and scheduled another follow up fr today.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of cosmetic issues with their work. Broken plastic clips, poorly installed baffles around the radiator, etc.
Absolutely sloppy and unbecoming of a performance shop charging premium labor rates.
We will see if they make good on their promise to correct the issues. But I definitely won't be starting any new work at this shop.
They made a few big mistakes on this build which cost a lot of time and money in re-machining parts, replacing broken parts and multiple reassembly attempts.
Worst issue that remains is that it feels like one of the driveshafts is rubbing against the exhaust system while the system is cold. Ugh!
Seems these guys are only interested in very expensive builds for race purposes. Anything shy of big boost, race gas and extreme mods is treated with disrespect.

I was at least able to confirm that they did do the upgrades and tuning which they claimed they would do. The log files and base tune map are loaded into the tuning tool. The drivetrain feels strong and healthy.

It's not worst case scenario. But for the amount of money I spent, I am very disappointed.

wreklus 03-28-2019 10:46 AM

The shop is doing a good job of correcting issues.
They haven't complained, or mentioned cost at all.
It is a 100% change from the excuses and strife they gave me previously.

I've put about 200 to 300 miles on the Jeep since the work was done;
Not evidence of knock retard, no strange engine or transmission behavior, no concerning behavior at all.
In the end, that's what matters most to me.

I suspect that there might be room for improvement.
I think the current tune has the engine running slightly rich and I also think the tune leaves a considerable amount of power on the table.

Still, I'm happy with the outcome so far.
We will see how it holds up through the next oil change.
(Including a big 5 hr road trip I have planned)
If everything keeps running smooth and strong, I will be looking to have an AWD dyno tune performed before the end of the year.

While I don't have anything particularly bad to say about the shop that did the work right now, I seriously doubt they could ever make an offer that would convince me to have new work performed there.

wreklus 04-01-2019 09:20 AM

I put another 500 miles behind me over the weekend.
The engine is running strong but I noticed some strange behavior:
1. After 80mph at wide open throttle, this thing unleashes a whole new can of whoop@@$$!!
Clearly ramped up more than 20hp (possible a lot more) on the butt-dyno as we passes 80mph and hit 120 between glances at the speedometer.
My girlfriend felt it clear as day and asked if I had been holding back from WOT this whole time. No, I had not. It just has a lot of potential power we haven't tapped into yet.
I'm about to get the shop on the phone about it today.

2. Idle is a little rough.
I get a good amount of shake from the engine after it warms up and returns to idle.
I believe this is due to being tuned to run a little rich. I also think the engine could really benefit from upgraded ignition coil packs and spark plugs.

Other than that, the Cookie Monster is driving just fine. Thank God after all the hardship with the build!

RacerHog 04-01-2019 04:52 PM

Next you will be ready to boost it... :)

wreklus 04-01-2019 06:36 PM

Honestly, boost seems inevitable at this point. Fromwhat I understand, my current cam specs would support it as is.
That and we all know how it is. As soon as you get done with the first mod, you start planning the next!

This thing's going to end up with A/C routed into the supercharger like they do on the demon eventually (moment of silence for my girlfriend's dreams of diamonds and beaches). Haha!

Anyway, thanks for the great advice.
Sorry I haven't posted videos of launches and pulls yet. It's hard to do in my area and I really didn't want to sort through hours of roadtrip video to pull out one or two highlights.
I'll get around to it one day.

Iowan 04-01-2019 07:40 PM

Sounds like you need to finish sorting out this stage before going to the next.

wreklus 04-02-2019 04:28 AM

You're definitely right, Iowan.
I'm confident the engine would drive as-is for a long while. But I need to do some supporting mods to smooth out idle (and probably beef up the torque converter) before I think about adding more power.
Fortunately, I don't lean 100% on my vehicle to get me to the office (meaning I spend very little time sitting at idle). So, I'm okay with the slightly extra vibration at idle.

RacerHog 04-02-2019 08:12 PM

Well if it lets you down... You can always go this way with it.... :)
https://www.clevelandpap.com/product...gine-packages/

xaza 04-03-2019 04:04 AM

Nice Bob, I like the turn key motor with trans combo. Sounds to me this truck is gonna be getting some heavy use. Where are you located? Do you have a local drag strip? The one here runs "take it to the track day" one evening each week through the summer to allow us commoners to run our cars. After a simple safety inspect of course. Depending on the time you are running the safety requirements can increase. You should check into that, it is a safe way to test out the truck with real numbers.

wreklus 04-03-2019 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by RacerHog (Post 148463)
Well if it lets you down... You can always go this way with it.... :)
https://www.clevelandpap.com/product...gine-packages/

Mmm... Only $24k for that Hellcat motor/trans combo!
Haha!
As of right now, I'm only $19k into this vehicle, including dealer purchase price and the 100k warranty.
I've already decided I'm going to do what it takes to keep it running for the rest of my life (even if I were to win the lottery, this thing would stay in my garage).
I'll probably end up sinking another 5 to 7 grand on mods into it in the distant future, but I'll be happy for a good few years once I get this tune straightened up.

I'll save the crate motor idea for another vehicle. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to put that kind of cash and energy into a vehicle like this one.
Maybe I'll buy a chassis and dress it up with one of those engines for amateur dirt track / circuit one day. Maybe if I live long enough to retire.
It's nice to dream about.

RacerHog 04-03-2019 02:19 PM

Hope it all works out and you are happy with it.... I was just pitching up their as on option if it all go's sideways on you...
I am Looking forward to the updates...:D

wreklus 04-03-2019 03:23 PM

Well, I do appreciate knowing there are options if it all goes really bad.
I'm not too worried right now. Just wishing there weren't so many frauds in the automotive industry.
I found myself a different shop that I plan to bring the Jeep to for dyno tuning. That should straighten everything out.
Unfortunately, it's going to cost a couple hundred dollars more. But, that's the proverbial rabbit hole.
I'm still confident that I'll be happy with how things turn out in the long run, despite all the frustration.

wreklus 04-10-2019 12:47 PM

Brief interlude in the modding process to have some regular service performed at the dealership.
Had the parking sensor system die on me a couple days ago.

But the thing that is annoying me the most lately...
A crack in the leather on the driver's seat! Haha!
It's throwing off the calibration on my butt dyno.

Anyway,
A couple of weeks before my appointment with the dealership, then it's back to turning gasoline into loud noises.

Current plan:
Upgrade coil packs and plugs
AWD dyno tune

According to my butt dyno, I should be laying down anywhere between 360 and 400 at the wheels (depending upon if my estimate of the added weight from personal effects). Which is about 50 - 90 above stock.
I'm expecting to pick up at least 10hp and tq across the entire power band just from the coil packs, if wheel dyno results from hot rod magazines are to be trusted.
The tune should add a much higher number across the power band, if my suspicion that my current tune is garbage is correct.

PSA:
From my research, big spark is worth the extra couple hundred dollars. Even for modern FI engines.
It looks like a bigger spark can potentially increase power even at low RPM and translate into a better driving experience on the road.
Not really worth the money for a drag vehicle, unless a difference of 10hp on the top end really matters to you personally.
But for us road-goers, the total area under the curve is significant.

wreklus 04-15-2019 02:42 PM

Here's a short clip of me mudding in The Cookie Monster.
I have a few clips I might mash together if I ever feel like editing the videos.

Iowan 04-15-2019 04:09 PM

You can do that with a stocker. 🙂

wreklus 04-15-2019 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan (Post 148637)
You can do that with a stocker. 🙂

Sure can.
Just took her out for a little dirt and noise.
But in the realm of Jeep, that video is nearly the same as driving down a paved road. There are some tough trails I'd like to hit eventually, but that'll all happen after I get the engine just right and then save up for that sweet 4" lift kit.

I do have to say that engine noise is satisfying, though.

wreklus 04-30-2019 08:17 AM

I made the appointment to get my tune cleaned up on an AWD dyno at a shop that has put out a large number of solid projects, both modern Mopar and AWD.
Their garage is clean and organized. They seem like real pros, but we will see.

As performance tends to go, more money getting sunk into the old wagon. And just like any guy, I will promise this is the last round of mods, haha!
Had a hell of a time trying to hunt down all the part numbers for my current mods because the last shop clearly botched writing it down after a simple google search for each item. Argh!
Here's hoping the bafoonery is behind me!

The good news is that if anyone is looking for a Diablo inTune i3, I'll be selling mine around mid May.

wreklus 05-08-2019 05:28 AM

Next monday (5/13/2019) marks the start of tuning. We're scheduled to hog the AWD dyno for 4 days.

Does anyone have any advice for me to prep the Cookie Monster for her tune?
I have the weekend set aside for me to prep.
I know it's best to check for leaks and torque exhaust system bolts. But if any of you have experience running N/A vehicles you can share, I'd appreciate it.
Specifically, I don't have the tools and knowledge to perform a compression test myself. I can do simple things like make sure my engine isn't losing oil, but when it comes to technical things or tests that require special tools beyond a wrench, I'm limited by time and resources.
Obviously, I'll need to explain this to the tuner and ask for him to check those things. But, if there are other simple things I can check, I'd be really glad to hear it! Even if it's just a simple list of do's and don'ts

RacerHog 05-08-2019 09:24 AM

Put it up on the pipe and see what it dose.... :)

Iowan 05-08-2019 09:45 AM

I don't know how many miles you have on your build but I would be tempted to drop the oil and filter or at least the filter and change. Check the air filter and clean if it's that type check all the fluids, diffs, trans and transfer case. Me personally I would change the oil before putting the hammer to it!