Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   440 problem ! (https://moparforums.com/forums/f66/440-problem-21354/)

q5charger 05-10-2018 07:52 PM

440 problem !

Help!
Hello everyone. My name is Mike and I have a 1969 Charger R/T I restored in 1990.stock rebuilt motor . I fire it up once in a while to keep it lubed , but never a long road trip. The problem I'm having is a load tick that only starts around 1800rpm + while driving only. Have not been able to repeat it with hood up and just revving engine. I did miss a speed shift from 2-3rd years ago and over revved it. Did notice a slight tick then but it stopped.

Coronet 500 05-11-2018 04:44 AM

Check your flex plate/clutch bolts for tightness then I would pull valve covers and have a look/ listen. Next would be pull rocker shafts and check push rods for straightness.

And Welcome to the site.

q5charger 05-11-2018 07:15 AM

1) Thought it might be rod knock ,checked bearings and still like new.
2) Maybe Harland Sharp RollerRockers using too much oil? 80psi on mech oil gauge . So I replaced with factory rocker assembly . Tick still there at 1800rpm + .
3) Failing hydraulic lifter? So I checked each one and found one, #3 cylinder exhaust lifter with a hammer mark on the cam face from the cam lobe hitting it. Replaced Lifter and same ticking and new hammer mark on lifter face (and it is rotating freely).
4) Valve springs ? Checked all springs and they are good 120psi under load.
5) Sticking Valve ? It is the exhaust valve (it moves freely) but maybe the guide is the problem when under load.
6) Removed head and noticed a half moon mark on the piston from the valve (not much of a mark but the other pistons had none).
7) New Valve ,surface grind and Guide replaced. I F#@< nailed it ! I was soooo happy. Nope! Tick Still there.
8) Local Speed shops and even Hughes Cams said ''its the Cam''. A lobe can fail fast and cause these symptoms .
9) New Cam , Lifters ,Push Rods and break-in oil. Again I am no further ahead. Tick Tick Tick!
10) Call the guys at ''MOPAR forums''.
Somebody must know something about this problem.
Thank You

Coronet 500 05-11-2018 12:43 PM

Check your fuel pump push rod, if you have one. Windage tray catching?

Iowan 05-11-2018 12:51 PM

I have a SB Ford that had set a lot but started yearly when I bought it, turned out intakes were hanging open kissing the pistons to close..........
cmpleat overhaul.

your number 6

RacerHog 05-11-2018 04:44 PM

Sounds like a Header Flange Gasket to me ??????
Put a video up on youtube and post the link... ????
I dont believe what i just read...

q5charger 05-11-2018 05:17 PM

LOL RIGHT!!!
I will make a video . If my car wasn't what it is ,I would of given up years ago.

So today I've eliminated rod bearings with new (just because I have it apart and so nobody can say its your bearings) and windage tray has no marks. I have replaced the mech fuel pump and measured the rod for length. All good. Its a 6-pack and the pump is the correct one.

If we find the problem ,I will be posting it ! I appreciate everyones input.
THANX

RacerHog 05-11-2018 09:37 PM

Oh, I see, Its not (The Car) together at the moment... Guess we will have to wait to check the over 1800rpm road speed sound for later... :)
One thing for sure>>>>>> You will know what parts its not.....

Monty.Smith 07-24-2018 11:13 AM

Q5

did you check the flex plate? Coronet suggested earlier. I had a camero that would bust the flex plate around the bolts anytime it went over 100mph. You wouldn’t know unless you dropped the tranny and got right up in there.

.02c

monty