Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   1984 Dodge Diplomat 318 BRAIN teazer (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/1984-dodge-diplomat-318-brain-teazer-51/)

Danny 12-13-2006 07:23 PM

1984 Dodge Diplomat 318 BRAIN teazer

Hi all I have a 1984 Dodge Diplomat 318 automatic with the brain on the air breather.
Now how do I do away with the brain? Do i need to change the carb. maybe a point dist. Thanks puzzled in Arkansas Danny:(

joedirt77 12-13-2006 07:49 PM

diplomat

you need the mopar performance electronic ignition conversion kit- if it's still available. try mancini racing (online). the kit has all you need to make the swap- vacuum advance distributor, ecu etc. the carb doesn't change, 2bbl holley or carter whichever you have. you can leave the computer on the air cleaner (plug the vacuum nipple- vac line now goes to the advance can at the dist.), or remove it and cover the hole, or swap for a non-lean burn air cleaner. you don't need or want a points distributor. mopar performance might have instruction sheets for their kit online- you can piece together your own kit if you choose. don't know if this helps or not- let me know, i've done this swap and it's not hard to do. my daily driver to work is an 83 slant six diplomat, 26 1/2 mpg ! mopar or no car !

Danny 12-13-2006 07:59 PM

diplomat

I'm on a fixed income and just trying to do it as cheap as possible.I don't thank I can afford performance parts. Thanks Danny

Danny 12-20-2006 08:45 PM

Ok I got a performance Vacume dist kit.Do I need to replace the lean burn Carb.? what about all the extra wiring now.

joedirt77 12-21-2006 08:24 PM

electronic ignition

danny- sorry did not answer you right away, haven't been on the computer at all for a couple of days. glad to hear you found the parts you need to make the swap- i was going to suggest looking for a diplomat w/o the lean burn at a salvage yard for the swap, but you got a kit. i looked in the garage and found the box for my kit, but the instructions for my kit are missing too. think i can still help walk you thru it. your carb is fine for the swap. you have a vacuum advance distributor, ecu (orange), and a ballast resistor- should be a wire harness in the kit with a connector that will plug into the ecu. i will look for my instructions first and if i don't find them, i'll get back to you soon to tell you how mine is wired.

Danny 12-21-2006 08:40 PM

Thanks I found the instructions on google And posted the link on here.Danny

Danny 12-21-2006 08:42 PM

Don't see the link posted now they must have removed it. Danny

Danny 12-23-2006 05:56 PM

I bought a 1973 360 Dodge 2 bbl manifold and carb. off of e bay for $29.00 now will it work on a 1984 diplomat 318 ?On did I just waste my Money. Danny

Danny 12-23-2006 08:22 PM

changeover instructions Link

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/lea...rn-article.htm

joedirt77 12-24-2006 10:36 AM

360 manifold and carb

danny- the 360 2bbl manifold and carb will work fine, but don't know if you'll see any big hp gain if any. clean the manifold up real well before install, and especially clean the carbon out of the crossovers. you didn't say what carb you got- it may be a little bigger than your 318 carb. linkages and everything should work. looked for the link for the electronic ignition conversion kit instructions but did not find the instructions, only saw a link to a slant six forum. is that where you saw the instructions? if not, maybe you could post the link again. hope your diplomat project is going good.

Danny 12-24-2006 10:43 AM

That link will work for 6's and 8's I email the guy and was informed there was no difference. Wasn't looking for HP just doing away with lean burn.Stiil waiting on the manifold and carb to come in from Bronx N.Y. I bought this Diplomat off of e bay for $125.00 50 miles from the house 66,000 org. miles on it. It has new shocks,tires,ex. and brakes.But a blown motor.So I bought a New Yorker for $50.00 and drove it home and pulled the motor out for the diplomat.Big job huh. I do have a New Yorker body rust free if anyone needs body parts.

joedirt77 12-24-2006 10:47 AM

cool- thanx for the info. are you working on your car over the holiday?

Danny 12-24-2006 12:37 PM

Not till after New years. I reposted that link it will work ok now

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/lea...rn-article.htm