Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   318 LA motor, serpentine belt conversion. (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/318-la-motor-serpentine-belt-conversion-564/)

oldcoupeguy 12-31-2007 12:18 PM

318 LA motor, serpentine belt conversion.

Hi Guys. Here's the deal.
I have looked at the Magnum type motors and am impressed with the compactness of the equipment on the front of the motors. The Alternator, A/C pumps and power steering pumps are smaller than the equipment from the 60's thru 80's. (also nicely placed up on top at the front of the intake manifold)
The water pump is shorter. (doesn't have that long ass snout on it). The shorter water pump situation will fix the limited space between my radiator and firewall. (Please don't suggest that I move the radiator or recess the firewall...not going there.)
1991 Dakota pickups with the 318 LA style motor have all this equipment (small alternator, A/C comp., P/S pump and short water pump (timing chain cover)) etc etc. So for 1 production year that I am aware of, this setup is available. Consequently....very hard to find.
Here's the question. Will any of the later year Magnum motor serpentine systems convert onto the earlier LA series motors?
Any takers out there?
Cheers.

hemidakota93 01-05-2009 01:57 PM

LA 318 conversion

i don't know if you have gotten a post on this yet but everything bolts up real nice just built one the red wire off of the alternator voltage regulator goes to the blue wire on the alternator and thats the only confusing part that i had just use the old style distrubutor and all the ignition components from a mid 80's or older and it will run just fine

67 GTX 01-05-2009 02:50 PM

oldcoupeguy is just another one post wonder:mad:

Commando 01-05-2009 06:48 PM

67, I like that term, describes them perfectly.

67 GTX 01-05-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Commando (Post 10187)
67, I like that term, describes them perfectly.

haha:D

Polaradude 01-06-2009 01:50 PM

This place is awesome, " one post wonder "

challenger 01-06-2009 08:32 PM

well they are o p w's but at least when we have the same problems at least we can just go back and see what we all wrote hehehehehe :D

rr69half6bbl 01-06-2009 11:41 PM

good pont chally. its ok I guess, at least they are seeking help in the right place. And it does help us all in the end. you never know, they may come back and stay longer next time.

67 GTX 01-07-2009 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rr69half6bbl (Post 10230)
good pont chally. its ok I guess, at least they are seeking help in the right place. And it does help us all in the end. you never know, they may come back and stay longer next time.

very true

88Ramcharger 02-01-2012 06:23 PM

318 Sbelt conversion

Ok so complete noob to the boards here but was googling to try to find a kit or some such for this EXACT issue. I have an 88 ramcharger with a 318 that I am gonna have to take the front of the motor apart on at some time in the near future and figured it would be awesome to get all the ease (meh. I guess its easier?), and convenience and horsepower of an sbelt set up for the little charger. Being an 88 and having throttlebody injected, can anyone give me some tips or ideas?

PK1 02-06-2012 06:28 PM

Swap to the Mag water pump. It reverse cooling.
The AC and alternator bracket are one piece and has the idler in it.
The tensioner attaches to the ignition coil mount and fits independently to the pass side head.
The PS pump bolts on the drives side head and has a small remote cooler that mounts to the TC lower DS side.
You need the 318 crank pulley.

I just put the front on a 360 mag this am after head swap. Its is VERY easy.

Search bone yards for a blown motor with accessories. Take all the bolts to save money. They are the same for the 318 / 360 magnum except crank pulley damper is different for different balnce.

I can post some pics tomorrow if you want to see the mounting holes to make sure yours will work.

PM me if you want pics...

Good Luck.