Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   440 cid, combo suggestions? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/440-cid-combo-suggestions-3276/)

71 Duster 440 06-11-2009 08:22 PM

440 cid, combo suggestions?

4 Attachment(s)
I also posted this on forAbodiesonly.com so I apologize in avance for anyone reading a repeat thread, just want to get a wide set of opinions.

Hey guys, my name is Chris. I'm a relatively new guy on the forum but l'm going to be picking up my 1971 Duster in a few days. The car was originally a /6 but now has a 440cid out of a 1972 Charger backed by a 4 speed. The body has 25k original miles on it and it's CLEAN http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...on_biggrin.gif. This car will see 100% street duty.

The car is set up for a straight line right now, mini tubbed, 8 point cage, narrowed Dana60 with 4:10s and a detroit locker, sumped tank, etc. The 440 from the 1972 Charger appears to be stock, and I was disappointed to learn those year motors were only rated at around 280 horsepower (?). The motor looks pretty fresh (at least clean and painted nicely). My goal for this car is 500-600 streetable horsepower. I'm not too concerned with the car hooking because of the meats in the back, the locker and the chassis work. I'd like some recommendations on how to achieve my desired power level. I'll be having a custom cam ground for the car by Jay Allen of Camshaft Innovations. Can you guys recommend an intake manifold, carburetor, and cylinder heads? I see that Edelbrock products are favored on here.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I've been surfing 440source.com. Post away guys!! Help!

78D200 06-12-2009 04:01 AM

You should tray and find out who rebuilt/freshened up the motor and see what they did for internal work. If there is a 4 barrel on there for an intake and carb, then who knows what you have for a cam.

Since you want it to be streetable power, that is going to take some work. I'd look into Edelbrock's Air-Gap performance RPM intake and an 800 CFM performer or AVS carb. Alum heads will help to dispurs the heat better than the stock heads and you can have valve work done to them to increase the flow. Your going to want a good set of headers as well. Probably long tube but not too long.

A lot of this will all depend on how you have your cam ground down though.

67 GTX 06-12-2009 06:22 PM

dont do anything until you find out what power the motor is making right now

71 Duster 440 06-12-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GTX (Post 21884)
dont do anything until you find out what power the motor is making right now

Yeah, the first thing i'm going to do is post casting numbers from the block, heads, and intake manifold and carb and see what I've got to start with. Then, I'm going to drop the pan and snap a pic of the crank to see if it's forged or cast. Might be able to get a look at one of the pistons through a spark plug hole too? The guys on forAbodiesonly.com have been pretty helpful on what to look out for. After that's done I can make a decision whether or not to drive it as is or move forward on some modifications. :D

67 GTX 06-13-2009 02:28 PM

it probably has a forged crank in it