Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   battery/alternator issue (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/battery-alternator-issue-3147/)

panda! 05-27-2009 12:04 AM

battery/alternator issue

the other day i was driving back home at night and i noticed the light in my dash was really dim, so i looked at my gauge that shows the amps and i seen that it was on the negative side. my gauge shows from positive 60 to negative 60 and prior to this it was always in the middle at zero. so i took the alternator to the parts store near my house and they checked it and it passed, they suggested that i bring the battery to charge, they charged it for about 20 mins and i put everything back and now its still goes dead. in the day its fine, tho i notice that when i hit the turn signal the radio will turn off and on in sync with the switch and at night if i go somewhere i need to get jumped. any ideas help!!!

Polaradude 05-27-2009 03:22 AM

You have a short to ground somewhere and its bleeding yer battery. This isn't on the Chinese Black Rice thing is it ?

78D200 05-27-2009 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 20413)
You have a short to ground somewhere and its bleeding yer battery. This isn't on the Chinese Black Rice thing is it ?

Those cars don't have amp meters Polara. lol

It does sound like you have a short that is grounding out casuing to battery to loose power. Did you notice if your alt belt was loose or is cracked? Did they test the battery when you brought it in? It could have a dead cell.

richinny 05-27-2009 05:04 AM

i believe you do have an ammeter. if the guage shows a charge without the headlights on i'd agree with the possibility of a short in the headlight line but then you'd also see the headlight breaker flash the lights on and off. if there was a short in the parking light line, you'd blow a fuse. the radio will cut out below a certain voltage. the lights flashing brings it to that point and then back up again. your wipers will be very slow and the horn starts to sound like a frog.

so, go to the regulator wires (small black box, two wires, one screw terminal and one slide on terminal, right?). use a jumper wire between the screw terminal with the engine running and radio off. if you hear the alternator start humming and the engine slow down, you have a bad ground on the regulator or it died. don't rev it too much because it will put out higgh voltage that can burn out stuff. the high amps are not good to recharge the battery either.

panda! 05-27-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 78D200 (Post 20417)
Those cars don't have amp meters Polara. lol

It does sound like you have a short that is grounding out casuing to battery to loose power. Did you notice if your alt belt was loose or is cracked? Did they test the battery when you brought it in? It could have a dead cell.

i just switched out the belts, and they are pretty tight. its just weird and this morning it didnt start so i had to walk to work. they didnt test the battery they just charged it. they did this last week and it didnt seem to make a difference since it started acting up.

panda! 06-01-2009 05:58 PM

ok i replaced the voltage regulator, had the battery charged, and im still stock in the same spot. it has to be a short, i just dont how to locate a short. any info?

scotts74birds 06-01-2009 06:29 PM

Are we talking short here, or massive draw/drain? Myself, I'd get my schematics and a clamp-on DC ammeter. If you have an electrician friend he will have one. Then I'd start working backwards from the battery to see what is drawing current with the key off, or massively with the key on. You can also verify alternator output with it. See if this helps. Since I'm laid-off, I'll check the prints for your car also and see what I can guide you to check.

panda! 06-01-2009 10:18 PM

its not a massive drain, somthing is draining from my battery until it dies. the voltage regulator was replaced, but the battery is not holing its charge. while the car is on i remove the negative cable from the battery and the car dies, from my understanding its not suppossed to die. now to make things worse, i noticed that the motor is starting to overheat. before all this the needle would never even reach the middle now its close to overheating. fack!!!

scotts74birds 06-01-2009 10:33 PM

K, I've got the diagrams and m looking at them now. I assume you've tested for output on the alt. at speed and have gotten 13.6-14.2 volts? Large black wire. I'm looking at the green wire for the alt. field. The alt may test well on a bench, but we may have an issue here. The green wire supplies current to create a magnetic field. And the rotor will generate A/c current when it rotates through, and collapses the magnetic lines of flux. Yes, you say the reg. is good, but are we still getting current to the alt through the green wire? Voltage is pressure, and at 12v it takes very little corrosion or dirt to block the current.

panda! 06-01-2009 10:43 PM

my uncle was looking at the car earlier and he kept saying "10 volts" over and over again. he was checking the battery when he was saying it

scotts74birds 06-01-2009 10:49 PM

See my edit above

scotts74birds 06-01-2009 10:56 PM

There are also 5 connections between the alt and the starter junction that can be tested for voltage drop. Is the ammeter getting warm back there in the dash?

panda! 06-01-2009 10:57 PM

how can i check if the green wire is good/bad?

carlosg7915 06-01-2009 10:58 PM

i had the same exact issue about 3 weeks ago. all i did was change my ground wire. Now the battery doesnt die and the radio doesnt fade away when i hit the blinkers. i didnt even charge my battery, thats how i know changing the ground wire worked wonders. i went with a thick gauge if that helps. goodluck man. -440 mopar

scotts74birds 06-01-2009 11:00 PM

Well, did you check to see what the alternator output is yet? On the black wire? It should kick in by 1200-1400 rpm. He's right about checking the grounds. Is the ground strap still on the rear of the engine, going to the firewall on the passenger side?

panda! 06-04-2009 11:54 AM

ok, so it wasnt the battery or the alternator. turnz out the my ignition switch took a shiet and burnt all the wires. i replaced the switch and now the beast is charged and ready to go. also replaced all the fuses. only thing is for sum dum ass reason the new switch didnt come with the plastic the seperates the wires and noone has it around here. i have pics of it but photobucket is being gay. anyone kno where i can pick one up?