Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Best battery for 426 Hemi Roadrunner... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/best-battery-426-hemi-roadrunner-9286/)

426HemiHammy 04-17-2011 12:33 PM

Best battery for 426 Hemi Roadrunner...

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and figured I would start off with a quick question regarding my Dads '68 Roadrunner. The current battery in the car is a Deka 678DT with 820 CA and 690 CCA. The battery sat all winter without a trickle charger and as a result it looks as though the battery may have seen the last of its good days.

I was curious as to what type of batteries people are running with their Mopars. I have been researching batteries and was debating on buying another Deka or switching to an Optima battery this go 'round. Unfortunately my Dad passed away last September, so my brother and I want to continue to take care of the care to the best of our abilities and having it start consistently would be a good start.

I do not have specs on the 426 that is in my Dads '68, but I do know that it was custom built by a shop here in Maryland and that it has a rather large starter on the motor. Unfortunately, I was not able to learn much about the car from my Dad as I was always working and his health deteriorated rather quickly.

Well, any help with CCA/CA recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any recommendations as to what brands tend to be best for big blocks then please give a shout. I am going to work on getting pictures of the car and the motor once the weather breaks here in Maryland.

Thanks.

mostang 04-17-2011 01:13 PM

id definitely reccommend an optima ill get u a size and part no. soon

Silverick 04-18-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mostang (Post 67025)
id definitely reccommend an optima ill get u a size and part no. soon

I'm an Optima fan, also.

scotts74birds 04-19-2011 07:23 PM

I have no experience with the Optimas. If you go with lead-acid, then the heaviest battery would be the best, due to the lead content. My mother bought parts for a school bus garage many years ago, and this is what she learned from the wrenches there.

samuelcosmo76 04-20-2011 06:56 AM

i have a wal-mart battery from 2007 in my dart, and its lasted after a bad alternator, and sitting in the freezing cold for weeks without being started.....can't kill it.

SimonV8 04-20-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by samuelcosmo76 (Post 67178)
i have a wal-mart battery from 2007 in my dart, and its lasted after a bad alternator, and sitting in the freezing cold for weeks without being started.....can't kill it.

Well thats excellent, You must have had a good one, As a wrecker driver I got called out to more Walmart and Duralast batteries than anything else.

426HemiHammy 04-26-2011 05:30 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am still up in the air as to which brand of battery I am going to get. I was leaning towards the Optimas for awhile, but want to do a little more research first.

scotts74birds 04-29-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SimonV8 (Post 67181)
Well thats excellent, You must have had a good one, As a wrecker driver I got called out to more Walmart and Duralast batteries than anything else.

I only put Dura-crap parts in flipper cars now! Not worth using their parts in your driver. But I do use them in the wifes car! Got tired of her sending cars full of quality "lifetime warranty" parts to the junkyard. My wife, is where cars go to die. Even cars at a demo-derby have a chance, but not my wifes!