Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Big Block overheating issues (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/big-block-overheating-issues-1141/)

Mopar-4-life01 06-09-2008 03:41 PM

Big Block overheating issues

Hey ya'll, newbie to the Mopar forums, i've been a regular member of some other Mopar related message boards but i decided to try this one out. Anyways, on to my problem. I've been fighting an over heating issue with my '69 440 powered Charger. The motor has a new Mancini Racing alum. water pump and housing, i'm running a freshly rebuilt 26" 3 core Chrysler radiator with a fan shroud, 180* t-stat (which i've changed out a couple of times now), and a huge blade race fan that is fixed, not a clutch fan. It runs ok on a cool day, never really gets much above 200* but when it's hot out the temp guages (2 of them) will reach between 220* and 230* and will not cool back off running down the road. As soon as i come to a stop for any period of time the temp rises rather quickly, but if i keep it movin down the road it gradually gets hotter. I've gone thru just about evey thing i can think off, the only thing i haven't tried yet is another radiator but like i said i had mine rebuilt by a reputable shop, spending another several hundred bucks on a new radaitor is out unless i absolutly have to. A buddy of mine said it may be a blown head gasket...that makes some sense becuase i have what sounds like an exhuast leak that i can't seem to find, all the manifold bolts are nice and tight. Is there any way to easily determine a blown head gasket with out having to take the heads off first?? Some info on my motor, it's nothing radical, just an old school built 440 with 906 heads, Edelbrock intake and carb (750), Mopar "509" cam, i'm not sure on compression ratio but it runs fine on premium 94 pump gas. Thanks for any help!

anmracing 06-11-2008 10:44 AM

A blown head gasket would be more problems than just overheating. It would be blowing out white smoke too. Check if there is water in the oil or do a compression test to find out if it is indeed a blown gasket.

Maybe there is an air bubble that could be causing it to over heat.

We just converted our 440 to a Be Cool cross flow radiator with dual electric fans. I wish we had done that years ago. Sitting in the driveway with it running while we were messing with the EFI for about hour and it never got over 195 and that's in Phoenix weather.......

Doc 06-11-2008 12:18 PM

Have you done a pressure check of the cooling system? ..

Hey anm .. what type of EFI do you have on the 440?

anmracing 06-11-2008 01:01 PM

We went with the Edelbrock Pro-Flo. I'm looking for someone locally that can help me tune it. It runs fine but every now and then it backfires out the exhaust and the stupid emmisions place won't test it when it does that.

Doc 06-11-2008 07:15 PM

Wow ... from what I have heard .. you are having better luck than most ! ...what does Eddy tell you to do?

anmracing 06-12-2008 12:52 PM

Really? I did a search but can't find any info on the various MOPAR fourms.

They gave me a name of a local tuner and I'm gonna have him look at it next week.

When we first started the engine, it started right up and I was happy. Didn't have to mess with anything. Now I just need to fine tune it.

Doc 06-12-2008 10:42 PM

Eddy is no help ?

anmracing 06-13-2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 3607)
Eddy is no help ?

I guess they are kinda useless..... Didn't have much to say other than trial and error. I'm sure if it was a bowtie they would be more helpful...... Still, I'm happy with the application.

Doc 06-13-2008 07:16 PM

I think that I will stick-with my ThermoQuad carb !

BTW ....how much was that EFI system ?

anmracing 06-14-2008 07:25 PM

Way more than a ThermoQuad...... :D

It was a present though and I've been wanting to convert it for many years..... I would say it was around $2500....:eek: Maybe???? Not quit sure.

I'm afraid to ask..........

Doc 06-15-2008 03:05 AM

A TQ ...can cost some severe $$$$ ... by some rebuilders I hear. And they leave them up-in-the-air WORSE than Eddy has done to you.

Why not start a separate topic on this EFI ?