Fuel system help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel system help

Hey Guys,
I just got a 1970 Roadrunner. I was told that it once was a 383 car, however is now a 440 six-pack. It has the E.S.C. fuel system and I am missing some parts. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the fuel system? I know that I am missing the correct valve cover breather cap (3 hose connections), the vapor separator at the engine and possibly the correct gas cap. Can anyone help me figure this out?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
You don't have a shop manual?

My old '70 manual has a drawing and description

Basically, it had a pressure/ vacuum filler cap on the tank, a vent line out of each corner of the tank (4) and these 4 lines go into a long vertical tube in the trunk.

Chrysler describes that these tubes are different length so the tank "will always be vented regardless of attitude. The tube (fifth) going up front is the tallest, and it appears (according to the drawing) that the vent going to the right rear is the shortest, to allow drain-back to the tank.

the breather has a large open hose going to the air filter outer housing, a small line going to the carb fuel bowl, and the line going back to the tank. There are no valves to my knowledge in any of these lines and fittings.

I don't know what you mean by the "vapor separator" at the engine. These systems did not yet use the "carbon can."

The only "vapor separator" was used I THINK on only the 440sixpack and hemi engines. You can substitute a couple of Wix metal can filters if this is what you are speaking of, they make 'em in 3/8 and 5/16 fuel line, with 1/4" return line.

The orginal ones were "upside down" from the wix. They were mounted right above the fuel pump, and had a long tube protruding to the top of the separator, with an orifice inside, so the 1/4 return came out the bottom of the can

The Wix filters must have the 1/4" return at the top. You can mount them either vertically or horizontally, but the 1/4" line has to be up

If you don't have a shop manual. I can probably post a photo of the page(s) for this section

The other thing is "did your car have" this stuff? I don't believe anything other than maybe hemis and the six pack cars had the vapor return, and not all cars had the trunk mounted vent gizmo. My old sixpack car came from outside CA and so did not have the evaporative junk on it, only the vapor return.

By the way I recommend vapor return HIGHLY. It REALLY helps solve a lot of fuel vapor lock problems. That system, in '70, was the first one I ever saw.