Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Headlights not working on 99 Durango (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/headlights-not-working-99-durango-3001/)

durangogirl 05-09-2009 07:31 PM

Headlights not working on 99 Durango

Like the title says lights aren't working on 1999 Durango. All the other lights are working. My friend replaced the headlight switch on the dash with no result. All the fuses are fine and all the bulbs are too. The brights only work when I hold the switch on the column but do not stay on when I release it. Any suggestions would be great. :confused:

theomahamoparguy 05-09-2009 07:56 PM

Bad relay?

....welcome to the world of mopar wiring problems! But seriosly, some basic wiring trouble-shooting should be able to find the problem.
youll need to find all of the parts of the headlight circuit [any relays, breakers, fuses and switches] then trace the circut with a test light to find out where the "juice" stops flowing.
A factory wiring diagram would be helpful.:)

theomahamoparguy 05-09-2009 07:58 PM

A dodge dealership may be able to print you out a wiring diagram.

scotts74birds 05-09-2009 08:56 PM

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/dod...E8SBEBK4FC3/p2 found this discussion, hopes it helps

durangogirl 05-09-2009 08:58 PM

Is it difficult to replace a relay? Is that what is keeping the brights from staying on? Thanks for such a quick response:)

scotts74birds 05-09-2009 09:06 PM

No, relays are generally plug in. But finding it may be an issue. I crawled the web for a shcematic for you but didnt come up with anything. Since the lights work when you use the flash feature, we know the wiring to the front of the truck is ok. So we're in the dash or the column or the turn signal switch

scotts74birds 05-09-2009 09:34 PM

Another thought. Was there heat damage to the old switch or the connector?

hazysolution 09-22-2012 02:08 PM

Same Durango Headlight Problem, No Solution

I have the same exact problem as the original poster, as insane as that seems. My 1999 Durango's headlight switch will not turn on my headlights. If i use the turn signal arm and hold the arm to "flip to brights" my brights will come on, but only if I keep holding it. When I release the turn signal arm, the lights go off.

I have read so many explanations...

My mechanic says its the headlight switch...

...New Headlight Switch... Not it... Same exact problem as before.

...The "factory cut me too short" purple wire along the steering column.... Not it. I took it all apart and ALL of my purple wires are fine (there are a lot and I checked them all).

...The fuses/relays... Not it. Fuses and relays are fine...

I know the headlights work because they come on when I hold the arm "flip to brights"

I hope to god someone who knows what they are talking about can help me because it is terrible driving at night while HOLDING THE TURN SIGNAL ARM TOWARD YOURSELF THE ENTIRE TIME!!!

TVLynn 09-22-2012 05:40 PM

Does it have a separate Hi/low beam switch operated by a rod from the turn signal arm ??

hazysolution 09-24-2012 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No the high beam switch rod is part of the windshield wiper control on the left hand side of the steering column. The headlight switch is off to the side, it's a turning knob, which I have replaced and I still have the same problem. I'll try to attach a picture of the headlight switch I replaced.

oldiebutgoodie 10-12-2012 08:27 AM

Headlights not working

From what Iv researched on this online, it sounds like its the "DIMMER CONTROL" which is located inside the steering column...looks like a common issue with the 99 durango models from what Im finding online...

Alan077 12-11-2012 09:25 AM

Well may be the switch your friend installed is not ok. have you checked the new switch before before fixing it. Sometimes the new box pack have faults so I think you should check the switch also.