Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Keep blowing starter relay! (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/keep-blowing-starter-relay-4240/)

dodgecharger72 09-17-2009 08:09 PM

Keep blowing starter relay!

I have a '72 charger with a 360 and I have been through 3 starter relays in the last 3 months. Any of you guys or girls know what could be causing this? These are just the generic ones you get from auto zone. Should I upgrade to a more expensive one like a Meziere?

ryan_e 09-18-2009 03:45 PM

I would upgrade to a better one and see if that fixes the problem

Crazy4Carz.Com 09-19-2009 07:46 PM

I have never had a starter relay go bad on any car I have owned. Yes, either try another "better" brand or score one that is good, or original equipment (OE) from a junk yard.

dodgecharger72 09-20-2009 10:44 AM

I think that my ignition harness that looks like it was wired by a four year old is contributing to the relays blowing. So I am going to rewire it first and then try one of the better relays. I wasn't sure if this was a common problem or not though

Crazy4Carz.Com 09-20-2009 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dodgecharger72 (Post 29695)
I think that my ignition harness that looks like it was wired by a four year old is contributing to the relays blowing. So I am going to rewire it first and then try one of the better relays. I wasn't sure if this was a common problem or not though

I know they can be expensive, but a new engine harness is a great investment. Rather than just cutting and re-splicing the factory harness to repair it, spend the money on a new replacement. The colors of the wires will be correct, tracing stuf in the future will be easier and all potential problems will be eliminated.

dodgecharger72 09-22-2009 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com (Post 29712)
I know they can be expensive, but a new engine harness is a great investment. Rather than just cutting and re-splicing the factory harness to repair it, spend the money on a new replacement. The colors of the wires will be correct, tracing stuf in the future will be easier and all potential problems will be eliminated.

And hopefully that burning smell from my fusebox will go away:D I never realized what a mess it was until I started ripping it out though. It's crazy what people do to cars in order to "fix them up"