Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Please help my 73 Satellite wagon run right (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/please-help-my-73-satellite-wagon-run-right-4870/)

73SatWag 12-12-2009 05:13 PM

Please help my 73 Satellite wagon run right

Hello, so my 73 Satellite wagon has a 318 with a 2BBL Carter carb, and when I got it, it drove home 1 1/2 hours just fine, but after that it would stall out when I gave it gas. I changed the air cleaner, fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires, charcoal canister filter, plugs, and rebuilt the carb. Soon it grew out of that habit and took on a new one; it would only run for a couple of minutes and then die out, not wanting to start again for a while. Once it died, I tried starting fluid and it would fire up again for a few seconds, most likely indicating a fuel problem...so I replaced the fuel pump, which helped a little. So now what it does is idle nicely for 5-6 minutes, the idle rises quite a bit, and then it will eventually die out. Even now, it wont start back up unless I use starting fluid or wait a long time. I am suspecting the choke at this point, since it seems to happen when the car heats up, and the idle changes when the choke moves. Any suggestions on what I should check or how to fix this?

Mopar_71 12-12-2009 07:18 PM

Hey 73SatWag,

That sounds like your fuel line is getting vapor lock at the rubber fuel line before the carb. (when the fuel boils)
Or you might have debris in your gas tank that is clogging the strainer in your tank.

If you can, get a gauge that reads positive pressure in PSI. Hook it up to the fuel line right before the carb and crank the engine over. You should have at least 3-7 PSI.

You could also get small portable 2-5 gallon gas can and hose that plugs into the inlet of your fuel pump and see how that runs. (this will tell you if you have a clog before your fuel pump.)

You could disconnect the choke linkage for troubleshooting purposes. It could be your dash pot.

It does seem like a fuel problem.
Good luck and keep us updated

Mopar_71

Frank the Tank 12-14-2009 01:55 PM

I have a 74 satellite and my car had a similar problem. Other than vapor lock, check the idle mixture screws. With the engine warmed up and turned off, remove the caps from the two screws and turn clockwise until they seat. Then turn counterclockwise one and a half turns. Start engine and turn screws only a 1/16 of a turn at a time for adjustments. This can be why the idle raises after the choke disengages. It can be running to rich.