Problem I never had with fuel pump, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem I never had with fuel pump, help

After taking a big load of metal scrap off in my 78 Dodge Truck 318, I barely made it back in the yard and had not been able to start the truck since. (except pouring a little fuel down the carb) After checking the lines,filter, and adding a new mechanical fuel pump, it I still couldn't get gas to the carb. So I took off the pump again, to dbl check installation (seemed ok). Then I felt inside the hole that the pump hooks to, to find the lobe or rod that actuates the arm of the pump. A little thing going sideways felt like a small rod no more than an 1/8 inch going sideways. I've never seen the part in a motor, so I don't know what it suppose to look like. And doubt that little piece on the inside could actually move the arm on the pump.
If this is my problem, is there any easy way to fix this, besides buying an expensive electric pump? After all the truck had over 300,000 when I got it and still runs good with no major issues. Your help would sure be appreciated and thanks in advance. Henry