Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   TRANSMISSION PROBLEM (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/transmission-problem-337/)

ICENROAD 09-20-2007 07:09 AM

TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

TRANSMISSION PROBLEM
Hello all,I have a question about my transmission and that I hope someone can answer.

I have a 1972 charger that has a 383 with a 4 speed transmission.

I took the transmission out to be rebuilt by taking out the 4 bolts hooked to the bellhousing and left the bell housing and clutch preasure plate and throwout alone .

i inspected the throwout to make sure that was not the noise was fine took trans to shop was needle bering inside broke had the hole trans overhalled.

Got the trans back the clutch was new in 2000 with only 2500 miles since put in so reinstalled throwout put trans in car.

Now trans acts like Im not pushing clutch in all the way (it grinds going in gear ),ajusted clutch dont help so I pulled thinking the throwout.

whent back in again still same problem was wondering if ajustment on linkage for shifter could be the problem .

any info will be really helpfull

THANK YOU, DEAD IN THE WATER

auggie56 09-22-2007 05:04 PM

So you had no problem clutch wise before removing the trans. And you put in a new throwout bearing. Have you rechecked your clutch linkage ? Is the pedal travel or effort to to push the pedal changed ? And how much time has elapsed since this car sat ? Maybe your clutch disk is sticking to the flywheel or pressure plate.
Have you put the wheels on the ground yet and tried it ? I'd try that and with being careful. I'd put the trans in gear and then with the clutch held down, start the car. That might free up the disk if that is indeed the problem. Just be careful ! The car may move when you start it.

ICENROAD 09-28-2007 07:14 PM

no no problems with the clutch before removing . after each time I removed the trany i drove if you drive easy you cant feel only down shift or if you get on it also it will pop out of gear in second under a load. Im looking into a new shifter and linkage definently not the transmission or clutch.

4 sale 7500 dave

1st Lt Dan 11-23-2007 06:04 AM

Sounds like they did not get your sync's reassembled right or they should have been replaced and were not. Did they give you a listing of the parts they claim to have installed? If it wasn't doing this before rebuild then it is in the tranny. Make sure your mounts are in good condition or the bolts haven't backed out. Anything is possible. Good luck.

440roadrunner 11-23-2007 06:04 PM

It's hard to say.

If I remember correctly--and it's been awhile, it's difficult to get the fork in "wrong" but check the following, which you should be able to see with the bottom cover and the fork boot pulled out, maybe a lamp and mirror

Check carefully that the fork is in place, both on the pivot, and the TO bearing.

Check CAREFULLY that you did not break the snout of the transmission which the TO bearing slides on. This has happened to me twice--on my '70 and on my old '64 426

Did the trans go in hard? Is it possible that you "hung" the transmission weight on the clutch disk splines, and damaged the clutch disk?

How about the pilot bearing/ bushing, what shape do you spose it's in?

Are you certain that you got the trans bolted up nice and square, with no dirt or other debri between the face of the trans and the bell? (Might'v fallen from the bottom of the car!!)

Have a friend work the clutch as you observe underneath. You should be able to slide a feeler into the disk/plate clearance, in fact with the car in high gear and jacked up, you should be able to turn the driveshaft as the clutch is released.

How about who worked on it? Are they reputable? With these rigs getting older, did anyone use substandard replacement parts?

Is it hard to engage into all 4 gears? Does reverse grind?

Is it at all possible that some debri fell into the pressure plate? Years ago, I had a '70 Cuda with a 440 near the end of my Navy days, and never got it sorted out, long story. That car ran into the 11's in three gears, slow shifting without the clutch working correctly. I had the clutch in and out several times, and FINALLY discovered that an inferior disk was leaving shards of junk down inside the pressure plate and was getting jammed between the pressure plate and the cover--binding the plate and keeping it from moving far enough to release clean. Mud, sand, or other foreign debri could do the same.