Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Engines, Exhaust and Fuel systems (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/)
-   -   1968 Chrysler Newport Upgrade (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/1968-chrysler-newport-upgrade-15616/)

mrzods13 08-17-2013 01:33 PM

1968 Chrysler Newport Upgrade

Looking to upgrade my 2bbl to 4bbl on the 383 for my newport. Anyone know of a good combo intake and carb. I have been looking but want to make sure I buy the right combo. Leading towards Holley for the carb and whatever for the inake.

RacerHog 08-17-2013 04:56 PM

Eddy Performer manifold and a holley...Just as a swap with no other Mods... Great combo.....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ormer-bb.shtml

moe7404 08-17-2013 04:59 PM

a 2 bbl uses differant cables and brackets than a 4 bbl. you need to research the details. iam bias to chrysler O.E.M. AFBs. the edelcrock carbs are not jetted right. just rejet them to be more like the chrysler O.E.M. AFBs. and do NOT use rubber hose for fuel line. DO use steel brake lines LIKE the factory did. they used steel for a reason.. same goes for auto trans coolant lines. do NOT use copper, it will NOT hold up. added: when jetting a AFB, edelbrock carb. change the metering rod OR the jet at one time . do NOT change both at the same time. you cant guess what your change was. all so the jet does not have to go in tight, just snug.

mrzods13 08-18-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by moe7404 (Post 107562)
a 2 bbl uses differant cables and brackets than a 4 bbl. you need to research the details. iam bias to chrysler O.E.M. AFBs. the edelcrock carbs are not jetted right. just rejet them to be more like the chrysler O.E.M. AFBs. and do NOT use rubber hose for fuel line. DO use steel brake lines LIKE the factory did. they used steel for a reason.. same goes for auto trans coolant lines. do NOT use copper, it will NOT hold up. added: when jetting a AFB, edelbrock carb. change the metering rod OR the jet at one time . do NOT change both at the same time. you cant guess what your change was. all so the jet does not have to go in tight, just snug.

I know I would need the transmission kickdown kit but not sure what else I am new to mopars and need all the help I can get. I wish someone could tell me what I would need to adapt it as far as the brackets and so on as I am not sure of what I need for the proper install, any help is much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

70newport 08-30-2013 05:38 PM

I have a Holley 650 cfm 4150 (NOT DOUBLE PUMPER) carb sitting on top of a 1" aluminum carb spacer, on top of an edelbrock performer series intake. I used a Locar kick down linkage and I believe it was a MR. Gasket fuel rail between the 2 fuel bowls on the carb. It runs awesome. I find holley a little tougher to get tuned right but they are a great carb.

I suggest not using a solid steel fuel rail between the 2 carb bowls as i went through 2 that leaked before I purchased my current one that has braided hose connecting 2 hard lines for the front and rear bowls. I would recommend this setup to anyone.

Good luck.

moe7404 08-30-2013 06:08 PM

yep the holley carb has 3 good features.
1. it hakes good horsepower
2. leeks fuel
3. leeks fuel
4 allways leeks at 12 midnite, in the dark.

RacerHog 08-30-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 70newport (Post 108311)
I have a Holley 650 cfm 4150 (NOT DOUBLE PUMPER) carb sitting on top of a 1" aluminum carb spacer, on top of an edelbrock performer series intake. I used a Locar kick down linkage and I believe it was a MR. Gasket fuel rail between the 2 fuel bowls on the carb. It runs awesome. I find holley a little tougher to get tuned right but they are a great carb.

I suggest not using a solid steel fuel rail between the 2 carb bowls as i went through 2 that leaked before I purchased my current one that has braided hose connecting 2 hard lines for the front and rear bowls. I would recommend this setup to anyone.

Good luck.

That a great set up.... :)

RacerHog 08-30-2013 06:45 PM

Moe...Your Killing me....:laugh: