Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Engines, Exhaust and Fuel systems (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/)
-   -   318 electric jet carburetor? Advice? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/318-electric-jet-carburetor-advice-18689/)

Carsonartist 06-15-2015 02:45 PM

318 electric jet carburetor? Advice?

I picked up aN 89 Dodge B 150 cargo van to fix up for my art studio van. Anyway. Its not getting gas. Starting fluid will make it fire. It has some kind of electric fuel jets on top of the carb. What's going on here? Lol

(How do I post a pic?)

Iowan 06-15-2015 03:39 PM

It's called "fuel injection", could be the fuel pump is out.

Coronet 500 06-15-2015 04:16 PM

TBI, Throttle Body Injection. Not one of Chryslers proudest moments.

It could be your ASD relay, (auto shut down), or fuel pump relay, or or ?

You will need some sort of manual and an electrical meter to diagnose properly before spending lots of money on parts.

It could be something very inexpensive and simple.

Carsonartist 06-15-2015 05:00 PM

Ok ok.... I just hadn't seen fuel injection like this. I always buy cars with carbs lol. I'm going to test the fuel pump and fuses and check the filter...see what's up

TVLynn 06-15-2015 11:54 PM

Un plug the harness going to the fuel pump & check it with a volt meter to see if you get a spike of voltage for 2-3 seconds when the key is turned on Or apply direct power to the pump to see if it works... Before doing that Make sure you have spark !!! A weak coil will not allow the motor to run but will fire with a starting spray.. Most of the relays are the same so just swap them.

Iowan 06-16-2015 04:59 AM

Could be out of gas.

DDodger 06-16-2015 08:17 AM

This could be "a lot" of thing. LOTS. I'm not familiar with those, but all EFI vehicles run the pump for a short time at start. Have "a friend" turn the key to run from off a few times and listen underneath for the pump starting. If not listen while cranking

The engine computer controls the pump relay, and the computer is triggered by the ignition system. so if there is something wrong it's not getting ignition triggers, then no fuel, either. So test for spark

And as above, fuel, relays, fuses. If you are gonna keep this, I'd be for getting on th'bay and finding a factory shop manual

You didn't say, did you DRIVE this home? Or has it ever ran since you looked at it and bought it?