Carb help? Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carb help? Maybe

wasnt quite sure where to post this one at but it's about my newly rebuilt 318 and trans in my 74 dart. So like I said it was newly rebuilt and have been going through some issues. So had problem with an old carb my friend gave me. But it was causing the car to choke up and die while at a red light. So bought a new edelbrock 4 barrel and seemed fine. So took the car to a diagnostics shop and paid 300 to have them dial it in. I left the shop and it felt fine. I get up for work today and I turn the car on and seems like the idle was high(maybe not don't quite remember how the idle was yesterday). So I drive maybe 5 min and get to a ref light and I'm hearing a hiccup in the idle rhythm. The next light it sounds a little worse and when I get to work and park I leave it in park and it's truggling to stay alive. In the past with bad carbs I've had the same response but this new one was driving good. Could it be a cold issue (but I drove it maybe 15 miles should've been wanrmed up pretty good) or should I take it back to the diagnostics shop
Old 09-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
IF there is crap in the fuel system it can cause lots of problems. Have you ever changed the fuel filter ? Flushed the fuel tank ?
Old 09-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
To add to what Lynn said....
Kind of sounds like it might be a choke setting issue?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by TVLynn
IF there is crap in the fuel system it can cause lots of problems. Have you ever changed the fuel filter ? Flushed the fuel tank ?
ya actually changed it twice. We literally just put the rebuilt trans and engine two weeks ago. Then my friend gave me his 5 yr old Holley 4 barrel but 2 days to it and it wasn't working out so put the new edelbrock on last Tuesday and changed the fuel filter. Then heard a weird rhythm so we took it to a place called engine dynamics and picked it up yesterday. Sounded fine when I left the shop
Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by RacerHog
To add to what Lynn said....
Kind of sounds like it might be a choke setting issue?
Hmmmm well this new carb has an electric choke. The Holley had a manual so maybe I'm missing a part or something but then why would the engine shop sign off on it being done. :/ one headache after the other
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
The choke should have a full 12V if they hooked it up on the ign side it may not work properly. Try just wiring it open to test
Old 09-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
D$ -

I was thinking choke as well.

But you didn't mention the cfm of the carb.

If the cfm is correct (600 or less). my suggestion would be to remove the choke entirely and let the engine warn up with pressure from your right foot. It should reach operating temp in a few minutes and you'll be good to go.

I've been doing that for decades.

However, you'd be surprised at how little thing in the fuel line can mess use up big time. What type of fuel filter do you have?

Archer
Old 09-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Archer
D$ -

I was thinking choke as well.

But you didn't mention the cfm of the carb.

If the cfm is correct (600 or less). my suggestion would be to remove the choke entirely and let the engine warn up with pressure from your right foot. It should reach operating temp in a few minutes and you'll be good to go.

I've been doing that for decades.

However, you'd be surprised at how little thing in the fuel line can mess use up big time. What type of fuel filter do you have?

Archer
So when I start it up I need to get it more warmed up?
Old 09-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Mopar Fan

So I took the car to an engine shop for them to tune it don't fix the carb. Got it around 4 in the afternoon and man it felt tight and responsive. Woke up the next day drove to work at 5 am. Didn't start right away had to give it some gas pedal play I figured to be expected after a cold night. I drove maybe 15 miles to work and the red light before the parking lot, I noticed a little hiccup in the idle. I get to the parking and leave my car in park and after maybe 5 seconds the car started dying slowly the idle became more and more sluggish in between until it died. Was concerned all shift. Checked oil at lunch and it was right around "add more". I've been letting the oil drip because the oil pan needs a new gasket so waiting to use up a little more of the oil that was just put in. So after work drove it back 15 miles atmd was fine besides a new slight hiccup in the idle. Took it to my friend to see what he thought. Waited for the car to cool down then went for a drive. No issues for maybe 10 min but after getting the car warmed up more, the hiccup in the idle returned and as we drove it longer the hiccup got stronger. So I've been having to sit around waiting for Monday to go back to the engine shop. Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
D4 -

I guessing you haven't don't the obvious?
When the car dies, open the hood, pull the air cleaner and manually operate the throttle. Check if any gas comes out the squirters.

Really sounds like you're draining the fuel bowls and running dry.

It's a pretty easy test.

BTW - Please don't tell me you have a Mr. Gasket fuel filter ...

Archer
Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
I would take the guy from the shop for a drive and show him what your talking about. I think thats about the only way your going to get this issue fixed.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a electric or manual choke and you do you have a return on the fuel pump. You might be cooking the fuel. It gets hot and vaporizes.