Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Engines, Exhaust and Fuel systems (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/)
-   -   Dodge Small Block Junkyard Build. (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/dodge-small-block-junkyard-build-22410/)

Shanep101 06-14-2019 02:44 PM

Dodge Small Block Junkyard Build.

Hey Folks,
I have a 1979 custom 150 step side truck all restored and running and driving, BUT, it's slow as hell and is my summer ride to burn tires and have fun. That being said I'm not looking to do a motor swap, keeping it dodge Small Block (318/340/360) because I'm lead to believe the motor mounts are the same, correct me if I am wrong. The plan in motion is a turbo build. So far I have a Holset hx35, an intercooler and piping, boost controller, a 650cfm carb I modified for blow through applications and a pair of headers to chop into a t3 flanged manifold. I'd like the whole unit to push around 10 psi @ 4700 RPM and get somewhere in the ball park of 425 at the wheels and 500 ft/lbs. Now that you know a little about the parts and goals, let's get into the questions I have for you guys!
1: what are the best junkyard heads you can reccomend as "bolt on" to a SBD
2: should I bother with a main bearing girdle?
3: are there any factory dodge 318 pistons that were forged?
4: will small block ford headers fit the 318 la heads?
5: has anyone run similar power levels on the stock rods and crank, and how have they handled it?

Thanks everyone for stopping in and taking your time, it's really appreciated!

RacerHog 06-14-2019 05:38 PM

Welcome to the site.... Sounds like a great Project. Hope to read about this build. Dont see to many of them completed. Most of your choice of stuff sounds reasonable. Here is my take on your questions... :)
1. Magnum Heads
2. No not at this point, However it would not hurt to have. There just a lot of work to get set up.
3. Just buy good pistons Diamonds , Ross, or something along those lines.
4. Not as far as I know. But when your making exhaust, I guess you can change the flange to whatever you want and fit?
5. No input on this end. sorry.

Wish you like on the Build, Look forward on see how it comes out ! Keep us posted.
No Sure if the guys over on The TurboForum or The BoostForum would be an help on this subject.
But will do our best to help as much as we can if you move forward...
318 can be made to fly !!

Shanep101 06-14-2019 05:59 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/moparfo...f1089078b1.jpg
Excuse the fact that it's on a bed, the only decent place I had to mock up the intercooler piping. For those of you wondering about Chinese parts, I took the risk on this intercooler kit and for the price so far I'm very pleased, it's actually relatively high quality for the price ($150 Canadian shipped) and it came with plenty of bends and silicon connectors to make any set up possible. I will be further reviewing this product as it get installed on the truck and I use it.

Shanep101 06-14-2019 06:05 PM

Thanks for the reply! Will magnum heads from the 5.3 or 5.7 work? If I use magnum heads I'm pretty sure I need oil through lifters correct? I've tried to gather as much information as possible but I'm still rather confused. Going to pick up the Holset turbo tomorrow, hopefully it's what I paid for....:rolleyes:

Shanep101 06-15-2019 06:54 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/moparfo...167b91815b.jpg
Holset from a 2003 Dodge Cummins picked up for $200 Canadian locally, small amount of shaft play but for the price of a rebuild ($100 Canadian) it will get a full rebuild and refresh, that all the updates for now! Stay tuned

Coronet 500 06-15-2019 07:50 AM

Hello from Dorchester Ontario.

#1- cylinder head not so important when pressurized, port and bowl clean up and stock valve size should be fine. I would go with 360 LA Open Chamber to keep compression ratio down.

#2- Girdle, Not necessary.

#3- No.

#4- No.

#5- Cast crank OK, block oil modifications are key.

Don't forget the tune is the most important thing in turbo/supercharging. The rule is, be prepared to blow up your first one!

Shanep101 06-15-2019 09:31 AM

Thanks! I'll have to look up the oil galley mods you're referencing, is there a thread already started you could point me to on the subject? I'm not sure where to begin looking. I Checked the stock online in my local scrapyard and they have lots of 1990s-2000s dodge trucks and Vans in stock so I will keep an eye out for the larger 360 magnum heads. Would it be worth nitriding and hot tanking the crank? It will be getting new bearings, that's why I ask. I had a chance to take the turbo apart a little on my kitchen table to inspect some simple parts, from what I gather from online this has a 76.5mm compressor turbine, which is slightly larger than I anticipated, but will still work great. It just means my boost will be created further up in the RPM band than planned. My seat of the pants guess would be somewhere in the 2600RPM range, depending on the heads I use and the efficiency of my homemade headers. Scrapyard run tomorrow possibly will keep you guys posted!

RacerHog 06-15-2019 04:26 PM

Use your 318 heads for now. This mite keep a little of the lagg down...

Shanep101 06-15-2019 07:10 PM

I have heard that although the 318 heads are small with small valves, they have a high exhaust velocity. On the other hand, I'm trying to source local motors near my parents house, where the truck is located. My father made a few visits to some friends places to see what they had to get rid of. I have the choice of a few 440s and 383s with transmissions so far, no one besides the yard with a magnum or a small block LA so far. Can anyone vouch for these motors? They're probably mid to late 70s engines from trucks or passenger cars, guessing on the character of the guys. Larger displacement with the turbo would defenatly get me closer to my power goals. Can anyone chip in? Turbo is being brought to my work to where we have propped tools, I'll be rebuilding and "restoring" the Holset so stay tuned for that. Next big installment after that will be the motor purchasing and tear down. Side note, great score on Kijiji today (Canadian Craigslist) I got a set of magna 18x10 5 spoke rims and Bridgestone 275/55/R18 tires, all brand new with less than 1000km for $300! A steal for some better rubber! More to follow!
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/moparfo...34326cbbf8.jpg

Iowan 06-16-2019 01:11 PM

Your build idea isn't a new one, I think the guys on Road Kill did it with a 5.0 mustang motor and a power stroke turbo and made over 600 hp at 18 lbs of boost. That's e-85 domain as far as I'm concerned. The 5.0 is better suited for the mods than the 318 because of the factory forged pistons in stock form but pistons can be bought. Make sure you open up the top ring gap.

Shanep101 06-17-2019 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iowan (Post 149718)
Your build idea isn't a new one, I think the guys on Road Kill did it with a 5.0 mustang motor and a power stroke turbo and made over 600 hp at 18 lbs of boost. That's e-85 domain as far as I'm concerned. The 5.0 is better suited for the mods than the 318 because of the factory forged pistons in stock form but pistons can be bought. Make sure you open up the top ring gap.

Yes I've had the pleasure of following that turbo build and the problems they had with it. The power stroke turbo was actually on a Chevy V6 but it had huge lag. I was under the impression the ring gap should be smaller on boosted motors? Anyone running boost that can tell me what gaps they're using? Still motor hunting, there are some 318s, 383s and 440s all around the same price. Will probably stick with the 318 so it's an easy swap and I can use parts I already have. Thanks guys hope to keep the updates rolling. Should be testing into that turbo on my lunch break so we will see what we are working with! Next time

Iowan 06-17-2019 08:04 AM

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rots...ers-617-lb-ft/

Ok so it was only 550 hp, its been a year or two since I've seen the video.

Shanep101 06-17-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan (Post 149725)
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rots...ers-617-lb-ft/

Ok so it was only 550 hp, its been a year or two since I've seen the video.

Still a monster hahah.

Got the turbo apart at work today, I'm under the assumption that someone may have upgraded this in the past. The compressor wheel is 78.5mm and the exducer wheel is 62mm, much larger than a normal hy35? Either way I took it apart and sandblasted and painted the housings, gutted the whole deal and now I'm just cleaning everything like a nazi and waiting for the rebuild kit! No photos yet but I will get some once the whole deal is together and looking like not just a scrapyard turbo.