Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Engines, Exhaust and Fuel systems (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/)
-   -   Engine stalling after put in gear and accelerating (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/engine-stalling-after-put-gear-accelerating-12915/)

mopmop 07-28-2012 06:37 AM

Engine stalling after put in gear and accelerating

1 Attachment(s)
first off..bare with me...i am native german..and i do know that my car is not a mopar at all... but i see very good help here all day and maybe someone can put me in the right direction...

so here we go........

- car starts and runs perfect at neutral, very responsive to throttle, even fast blipping it doesnīt cause stalling
-revs up good at neutral
- does start cold perfetly

when put in gear....
- it engages the gear, starts creeping at idle- so pretty normal
- when hitting the gas pedal too fast it stalls out
- when hitting gas pedal slowly it drives okay
- while driving you can floor it and it wonīt stall
- when you stop at a light it idles perfect
- when sarting of a light and hitting gas to fast it stalls
- it starts right up after stalling

another thing i noticed, while driving and flooring it the car feels weak...
shouldnīt be with that big of an engine...

okay...
looking forward for your replys...
car in question...

1960 lincoln continental mk5 convertible..fully rebuild engine...

Attachment 14330

440roadrunner 07-28-2012 08:18 AM

My first thought is that the carburetor accelerator pump shot is weak. I'm not familiar with whatever carb might be on those old girls. I don't want to "send you away" but there surely has to be a Lincoln based board somewhere on the web, that is, guys who are more familiar.

NICE lookin car, by the way.

mopmop 07-28-2012 09:06 AM

the accelerator pump has a very strong output, as said, when in neutral it revvs up really good&fast

haha...just googled "lincoln board" hahaha... not really what i was looking for...

bremereric 07-28-2012 10:05 AM

Sounds like carb issues that I just fought. Put a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold and see what vacuum you have. If your running a Holley carb with a power valve your inches of vacuum must be the 2x what your power valve is. Ie 15" of vacuum = a 125-75 or 7.5 power valve.

PK1 07-28-2012 04:11 PM

So idle circuit is fine but your transition to half throttle inputs stalls her out?

The accelerator pump on that is a rubber circle inside the orifice ( i think) that is activated by the arm. When they get old ( yours is way old) they stay in a compressed state and do not flex. So they do shoot but it is weak like 440roadrunner stated.

Assuming you are in a stock configuration and have not advanced the timing to much change the accelerator pump diaphragm. While the carb is off clean it. I would rebuild it personally.

Also:
check fuel pressure at idle and blip the throttle. Get a reading.
check fuel pressure at idle in gear with the car blocked appropriately for safety

If pressure is good check the inlet fuel line at the carb. Ford used a small screen in the female fitting as a safety in some vehicles. Make sure something isn't clogged.

That is a GREAT looking car. Thanks for showing it.

lilredex 07-28-2012 05:59 PM

After it has run a bit, shut it off and remove the air cleaner. Look down the carburetor's throat and yank the throttle open fast. You should see a blast of gas shooting in there, like a kid's water gun.

That little visual test will show you the condition of your accelerator pump........the first thing I would also suspect.

mopmop 07-29-2012 08:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
thx for the input guys-keep em coming...
accelerator pump shoots fuel out in a nice double stream-pretty fat !

i may take a vid of the thing while i sit on top of the engine blipping the throttle...hahaha..

rebuilding the car was an 7 year process with a lot of upīs & downīs - esp. here in germany where you donīt find any spares...

Attachment 14324

Attachment 14325

Attachment 14326

my fix for broken rubber connector on window motor:
will never break again...

Attachment 14327

mopmop 07-29-2012 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14323

bremereric 07-29-2012 10:12 AM

Go back to what I said about the power valve then. Check your vacuum at idle in gear. Cut that value in half and then determine if you have the correct power valve in the carb.