Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Engines, Exhaust and Fuel systems (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/)
-   -   mopar small block rod question?? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/mopar-small-block-rod-question-20134/)

gearheadmike 03-10-2017 10:33 AM

mopar small block rod question??

1 Attachment(s)
Ok let me tell the story lol
I picked up a running 74 360 2bbl 61K from a sportsman rv to replace my current 360 in my 87-D250. Motor now sitting on stand,i pulled intake and valve covers as i want to change it to the 4bbl intake. Looking over the lifters/cam/rockers etc looks good heck the valve springs are still colored red & blue. Gaskets look all original only thing i can see that's been replaced is water pump and thermostat housing had some clear silicone around it. Still have factory timing chain with the plastic covered cam gear. When i removed heads i noticed the head gasket looks original and has the pentastar on it.

Well ... when looking at the rod bearings i noticed on the caps there marked with the number in which cylinder they should go. Well they don't match up in the right spot for example #1 cyl has a #7 rod in it/#6 cyl has a #4 rod in it and so forth???

I pulled a main & rod bearing to see if they were replacements but i don't see and numbers that show it.
#1 Main bearing has AT-20 8 73 The Rod bearing has DA-49 5 73M

RacerHog 03-10-2017 04:02 PM

Has the pan been off before?
Was every thing Torqued down rite?
Had you started it to see if it was knocking before you took it apart?

gearheadmike 03-10-2017 04:46 PM

pan looked as it has never been off it was running before i tore it down it sounded strong and was quiet no odd noises. Someone said the rod caps are marked like that from production and he had a engine with rods all marked with same number.
Also was told the #73 on bearings mean they are original to this 1975 engine.

Iowan 03-11-2017 10:35 AM

That's 70s Mopar for ya, kleen it up an put it back together if the bearings look good.:)

RacerHog 03-11-2017 10:45 AM

I agree....

gearheadmike 03-12-2017 04:21 PM

That's what i'm gunna do check torques of everything new gaskets oil pump/timing chain set. and fix one of my exh valves hopefully :doh: