Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Engines, Exhaust and Fuel systems (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/)
-   -   Question, does anyone know (https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/question-does-anyone-know-14930/)

hunter1464 05-21-2013 10:17 PM

Question, does anyone know

Pulled the cam from a 1968 440 I bought. It was rebuilt and supposedly built up. Wanted to be sure what cam was in it before I placed it in the charger. The cam has the number 454 stamped on the shaft just before the 5th journal going into the last bearing. No other ID of any kind. Does anyone know what this cam might be? Thanks in advance.

Gorts 5th 05-22-2013 05:19 AM

i'm guessing 454 lift... do you know the cam manufacturer

440roadrunner 05-22-2013 08:29 AM

I would not "assume" anything about a used cam. Only way to accurately tell is to rig the cam into the engine, and rotate the engine with a degree wheel and indicator to measure opening/ closing events degrees and lifter movement, then multiply that against the rocker ratio. Even this is an approximation, because cam lift/ duration is measured different ways by different manufacturers, but "most" seem to have now settled on .050 lift

Google up Comp cams, Lunati, and others. Most of em have installation guides on their websites which should give you some ideas.

If you have NOT marked the exact lifter positions, you might as well buy a new cam, because you will be gambling with cam wear otherwise.

hunter1464 05-22-2013 08:12 PM

Thanks guys. roadrunner due you mean exact position on lifters as to where they came from or height in the hole. Forgive me if these are dumb questions mostly a body guy and a shade tree bolt on mechanic. What new cam would you recommend for a 440, 10 to 1 compression 452 heads, double springs, dual quad edelbrock, 500 cfm eds , 4 speed. 4-10 rear right now. Just a for fun car on Sundays and cruise nights. I would like a really good lope and rumble. Bad sounding charger. I am alsmost 60 I think I deserve it. lol
Thanks again

TVLynn 05-22-2013 08:28 PM

Each individual lifter needs to be put in the motor in the same position it was removed from.. IF needed ??? use the cam of it is in good shape with a set of new lifters..
best buy a cam kit cam, lifters and springs

440roadrunner 05-23-2013 08:20 AM

I see now how that answer could be confusing. The lifters need to go back into the holes they came out of, so that they are acting on the same lobes as original.

deadkelly 05-23-2013 05:16 PM

cam shaft grinders should be able doctor it or ( measure ) it for you for a small charge . the bloke in brisbane over here charges $20 & it tells you everything on a sheet of paper . if you want to make good street torquey power i'd go with lunati voodoo or comp cams extreme energy cam & still be able to use boosted brakes . now you have a great set up there 10:1 , twin 500cfm carbs & 4.11 rear gears mmmm you can go quite wild or just plane mild . do you have a auto or manual & do you or would you get a small stall converter to suit & do you std hyd rockers or ajustable/roller rockers ?
just reread your post & seen you got a manual & twin springs . most dual springs are good for .525" lift + but thats still a guess . also you have to know how much id spring clearance you have to the valve seals & retainer to seal/valve guide . i recommend finding out all this stuff . but if it's all to much & over your head & just want something to chuck in there that will make awesome power a comp cam extreme energy hyd or lunati hyd voodoo cam with a intake valve lift of .485" too .509" will get you moving in a pretty big way . & they will make power up to the 5700-6000rpm range which will really exite those 4:11 gears . your big block mopar will sound like it should , & will be real snappy with twin carbs & 4:11's . surely you'd be looking @ 450+hp .

Moparbob 05-23-2013 08:51 PM

Need to know the Installed Height and Seat Pressure of the current Valve Springs, the Spring "Rate" , and the Spring Coil Bind dimension BEFORE choosing a Camshaft.

moe7404 05-23-2013 09:09 PM

chrysler DID built mild and hot 440s in the late 60s. so not ALL 440s are hi performance.