Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Rear Ends (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   1963 Dodge Dart No Drive (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/1963-dodge-dart-no-drive-21770/)

Donovan 10-04-2018 02:40 PM

1963 Dodge Dart No Drive

First let me thank all of you who reply to this.
Second this is a long post please read carefully.
I have two questions.
Known information about the car.
1. 1963 Dodge Dart 270 four door.
2. Slant six.
3. Push button automatic transmission.

Details of problem.
1. Started car as normal.
2. With foot on the brakes. Released the parking brake. Released the parking pawl.
3. Tried to push in drive button to no avail.
4. Pushed in reverse button I have reverse.
5. Pushed in 2nd button I have 2nd.
6. Pushed in 1st button I have 1st.

Questions
1. Is the problem just the inside push button mechanism? Or possibly the cables.
2. What is the easiest way to remove the push button mechanism?

I have a 2nd 1963 Dodge Dart with a push button automatic so no worries there.

Thanks again,
Donovan Frasure

Iowan 10-04-2018 03:14 PM

Have you confirmed that pushing the drive button does or doesn't shift the transmission as in move the lever on the transmission to drive?

Donovan 10-04-2018 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan (Post 146202)
Have you confirmed that pushing the drive button does or doesn't shift the transmission as in move the lever on the transmission to drive?

Yes that's correct I Tried to push the button in and couldn't push it in at all.

xaza 10-04-2018 04:49 PM

I believe what Iowan was asking is, Have you shifted transmission into drive at the tranny? May have to disconnect cable to move tranny linkage by itself. Not familiar those myself.

Donovan 10-04-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by xaza (Post 146205)
I believe what Iowan was asking is, Have you shifted transmission into drive at the tranny? May have to disconnect cable to move tranny linkage by itself. Not familiar those myself.

Sorry Lowan I miss understud the question.
No I've not disconnected the cable. I was under the impression that because the transmission goes in 1st and 2nd that the transmission will go into drive but the Drive button will not push in.

Donovan 10-05-2018 02:03 PM

Solved

I thank everyone for the help. I removed the the push button mechanism cleaned and lubricated all moving parts. Put it back together and it works fine now. NOTE: when taking the mechanism off the very small clips that hold the cables on place them in a cup or tray so you don't lose them.

Iowan 10-05-2018 03:07 PM

Thanks for postings the solution to the problem.

Donovan 10-05-2018 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan (Post 146215)
Thanks for postings the solution to the problem.

If it helps someone else then I'm glad to help.