Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Rear Ends (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   Dana 60. 2 pulling axles for rear brake cylinder change (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/dana-60-2-pulling-axles-rear-brake-cylinder-change-17825/)

Skynyrd 09-20-2014 12:16 PM

Dana 60. 2 pulling axles for rear brake cylinder change

Have a leaking brake cylinder on rear. It has a Dana 60. 2. Not sure of the significance of the 2. Or will it make any difference .
Changing cylinders , shoes.
I was told to pull the axles. It has strange pro race axles.
Never pulled these types of axles....... any help?
Thanks

RacerHog 09-21-2014 07:07 AM

Should just be able to unfasten the 4-5 bolts at the backing plate and slid hammer them out.....
:)

moe7404 09-21-2014 12:18 PM

a big Q to bob. my 67 coronet manual shows 9 1/4 / 9 3/4 ring gear rear with a cove on the back. it says it comes on 440 Power Pak and 426 Hemi. the 9 3/4 comes exclusively on the 426 Hemi. and Sure-Grip is std, for both. is this a dana 60?

TVLynn 09-21-2014 01:55 PM

Not sure of the significance of the race axle, I guess the bearing bolts in in some manor No C clip. You should be able to R&R the wheel cyl without removing the axle. Remove the brake shoes unbolt the wheel cyl & remove.
If you need to change the axle seal Yes the axle needs to be removed

RacerHog 09-21-2014 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by moe7404 (Post 123232)
a big Q to bob. my 67 coronet manual shows 9 1/4 / 9 3/4 ring gear rear with a cove on the back. it says it comes on 440 Power Pak and 426 Hemi. the 9 3/4 comes exclusively on the 426 Hemi. and Sure-Grip is std, for both. is this a dana 60?

an option...only in 9-3/4.. if i recall correctly

pro-tech 09-22-2014 05:47 AM

I have never removed an axle to replace wheel cylinders... If there are metal tab hindering the removal just bend them in and turn the axle to between the lugs and they will come right out...Then after they are installed bend the tabs back to where they were...Bill:)

Skynyrd 09-22-2014 02:30 PM

wheel bearing

Looks as though it isn't a brake cylinder but rather the inner seal
Or the gasket behind the plate. It has been slowly dripping from the bottom of the plate behind the axle.
Must have been doing this for awhile. The outer seal doesn't look like it is leaking. Not sure if it has a gasket behind this plate or could it leak. Maybe the inner seal is bad and leaking through the plate.....checked rear end fluid it's good.....Not a bad leak but......it will have to be fixed. How long can I let this go only running at the track?
Because this winter it's getting an up grade , changing shoes to disk on rear & upgrade front disks. Would rather wait until then. Thanks

Skynyrd 05-15-2015 05:23 PM

Getting ready to install the rear disc brakes from Strange , The way the brackets are I have to pull the axles. The old shoe brakes are no longer . I had someone remove them and install right stuff rear disc brakes kit which would not seal the lines to the caliber, (no matter what I did). , cheap in my opinion.
So sending them back and have the strange set ordered which use no stinkin copper washers. Now I need to pull the axles myself to install them. Can anyone tell me how you pull the axles. I have the green non adjustable bearings.

Drag Pak 05-15-2015 07:15 PM

Mine, a Dana S 60, you just remove the caliper, the four caliper mounting bracket bolts and the axles slip out quite easily!

Just an "O" ring on the bearing outer race, nothing else!

Skynyrd 05-16-2015 06:48 PM

Ok thanks, I am looking for them Mon. So will try as you describe first before removing cover. It would be nice not to have to take it off. As long as you don't turn anything it should slip right back in hu? Thanks

Drag Pak 05-16-2015 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Skynyrd (Post 128657)
Ok thanks, I am looking for them Mon. So will try as you describe first before removing cover. It would be nice not to have to take it off. As long as you don't turn anything it should slip right back in hu? Thanks

10-4

Skynyrd 05-20-2015 04:27 AM

axle

They came out very easy. Thanks. I hope they go back as easy.